Advanced search

Housing benefit

(39 Posts)
Password9 Wed 14-Feb-18 17:05:56

Can a 19 year old grandson claim housing benefit help when paying rent for a single room in same house as nan lives ?? She is only claiming single person allowance on council tax currently.
Have looked and cant find anywhere that says he can. But also not found anything that says he cant.
Cheers. Look fwd to replies. Maybe someone in same position.

Babyroobs Wed 14-Feb-18 17:07:11

Does Nan own the house? I don't think under ? 21's can claim Housing benefit at all now ( I may be wrong ).

WitchesHatRim Wed 14-Feb-18 17:08:08

I don't think you can claim HB if it's going to a family member.

sallyandherarmy Wed 14-Feb-18 17:16:32


He is not old enough, for one reason.

Password9 Wed 14-Feb-18 18:58:18

He is old enough. Under uk gov. To be eligible for housing benefit. For a single room let. Nan owns out right.

Zioanna Wed 14-Feb-18 18:59:59

If nan owns outright, what is the housing benefit for?

fairgame84 Wed 14-Feb-18 19:02:35

He would need a tenancy agreement. It sounds like he is paying board rather than rent.

fairgame84 Wed 14-Feb-18 19:04:36

Not eligible if you live in the home of a close relative so no he can't claim.

demirose87 Wed 14-Feb-18 19:10:18

No he wouldn't be able to claim bit even if he did, I'm sure he would get much as a single person.

Password9 Wed 14-Feb-18 19:42:52

Yes I read that. But what is the definition off close family. Found this mentions nothing of nan

Password9 Wed 14-Feb-18 19:43:48

£65 a week

fairgame84 Wed 14-Feb-18 19:51:50

But he still doesn't have a tenancy agreement.
All you can do is put in a claim and see what they say.

mummsyy Wed 14-Feb-18 19:57:51

What is the housing benefit actually for is nan owns outright?
Is it for him to pay her board money or for him to have extra money in his pocket?
I don't think he's eligible because there's no tenancy agreement but you could always ask them.

Auspiciouspanda Wed 14-Feb-18 20:01:55

I’m a housing benefit assessor and Regulation 9 includes grandparents in ‘close family members’. He isn’t eligible to claim.

Becca19962014 Wed 14-Feb-18 20:04:48

Check your councils website (or hers). Be prepared though they may not allow it even with a formal tenancy agreement in place and they would both likely need to be interviewed to show it is a formal agreement. I know my council would refuse this.

I assume this is being asked because she will lose her 25% council tax discount.

Also, it may not be housing benefit but universal credit he needs to claim which has different rules, I think universal credit is the one that refuses under 21s unless very specific circumstances apply e.g. Care leaver.

Becca19962014 Wed 14-Feb-18 20:06:04

X-post with auspiciouspanda that's obviously why my council would refuse.

Notabadger Wed 14-Feb-18 20:08:30

Can't claim single person discount on council tax if another adult is living there, unless he's a student, I think.

Has gran let out the room to lodgers/tenants before? Sounds like this arrangement would be set up just to claim benefits, in which case wouldn't be entitled to housing benefit. This might be useful

DancesWithOtters Wed 14-Feb-18 20:24:48

I would be shocked if he was able to claim.

Babyroobs Wed 14-Feb-18 21:17:08

Can't anyone just help out relatives these days without wanting money for it, or is it the grandson that wants to reduce what he has to pay ?

Password9 Wed 14-Feb-18 23:24:50

Thanks for confirming that. To others if someone lives with you your bills are gonna increase. gas electric water sewage internet, council tax pos even home insurance as you prob no state pension isnt a lot to live on. So of course financial help is needed. She may loose other entitlements too. There are rooms to rent in area @£80p/w but in multiple occupancy. His mums moving to wales and understandably he does not wish to go. But no guaranty off him getting a job straight from college, in a few months.

Babyroobs Wed 14-Feb-18 23:28:10

I'm not saying he shouldn't pay towards food , gas and electricity etc, that goes without saying but if the room was just empty previously why ask for rent? He could pay towards council tax as she would lose her 25% single occupancy discount .

Babyroobs Wed 14-Feb-18 23:32:31

If he has a time where he is unemployed, he would be able to claim Job seekers allowance or Universal credit depending on his postcode.

19lottie82 Thu 15-Feb-18 07:34:21

if someone lives with you your bills are
gonna increase. gas electric water sewage internet.....

Housing benefit isn’t supposed to cover these costs. DGS can give Nan some of his JSA (if he’s getting it) or wages for these costs.

coffeekittens Thu 15-Feb-18 07:41:24

He won’t be able to claim hb but if he is a student he won’t need to claim council tax, the council will need to know that he’s living there though. Has he looked at what other benefits he may be entitled to or at getting a pt job to help with rent?

HarveyKietelRabbit Thu 15-Feb-18 07:41:44

Yes if an adult family member lives with you, some costs will increase. But why would you expect the state to pay for it?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: