Advanced search

National insurance contributions/child benefit contributions

(6 Posts)
TheDrsDocMartens Mon 12-Feb-18 12:48:04

I work part time on short term contracts (PAYE) and part time self employed (tax return at end of year).

I’ve paid NI contributions on my PAYE work, am I also getting contributions via CB ( will have a <12 for a few years yet) ?
Do I also need to pay NI for my SE work?
I’m not getting any sense out of HMRC!

TalkinPeace Mon 12-Feb-18 13:16:15

NI is per job.
You get the NI allowance for each income stream.

If you had three part time jobs each paying £7000
you would pay 3 x £0 of NI
but your tax would be based on the £21k income
as tax is cumyulative
but NI is not

if that makes sense

TheDrsDocMartens Mon 12-Feb-18 14:48:36

But NI is cumulative for pension purposes?

I’m paying on earning less than £7k too confused

TalkinPeace Mon 12-Feb-18 17:29:51

The new state pension is an on off switch : if you earn enough in a year to pay NI, you will get it.

The Class 1 NI limit is £155 per week = £8060 a year
If you earn below that you should not be paying NI in any one employment.

Class 2 (self employed) the limit is £6000
Class 4 (self employed) limit is £8060 - but class 4 does not count towards a pension

TheDrsDocMartens Mon 12-Feb-18 19:18:01

Ah, I’m earning over £155 a week but only in short term blocks hence paying it!
SE only since Jan but will be (fx) earning enough to pay in the next tax year.

How do I know if I’ve paid enough to get pension credited though? Do I still get the credit from child benefit claim?

TalkinPeace Mon 12-Feb-18 20:21:06

If you pay NI - full stop - you get it.
To the best of my knowledge "full stamp" is now gone

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: