Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Getting a settlement figure on someone else's loan

(12 Posts)
slashdragon Mon 12-Feb-18 11:55:46

I want to pay of my DH's loan as a 'surprise'.

He gets a statement every year and I have seen that but it's months old.

Is there any way of getting this other than him calling up? I'm thinking not but someone might know differently.

Or did there a spreadsheet or formula someone can point me towards that would help?

SueGeneris Mon 12-Feb-18 11:58:16

I just did this with a loan of DH' s. Not as a surprise. I was able to log into manage the loan online with the loan account number and either just our postcode or his dob. There was an option to request settlement figure. You could view this but it also sent an automated letter so that might be a give away for you!

LuxuryWoman2017 Mon 12-Feb-18 11:59:30

I can only think to write to them for a figure as if you were him.

SueGeneris Mon 12-Feb-18 12:00:16

This was with black horse but I have noticed out Natwest mortgage can be managed the same way. I suppose it's less restricted than regular online banking as it is only borrowed money you are dealing with.

LuxuryWoman2017 Mon 12-Feb-18 12:00:29

Or yes as above!

Worldsworstcook Mon 12-Feb-18 12:03:29

If you've anything left over I'll take it!

Tinseltower Mon 12-Feb-18 12:04:03

I’ve done it before over the phone. They won’t tell you how much it is until you have paid though. So as long as you roughly know how much it is, you can do it that way.

slashdragon Mon 12-Feb-18 12:35:20

Good advice thanks. I will try calling and see where that goes!

slashdragon Mon 12-Feb-18 14:35:59

It worked!!

DH is now loan free and I can't wait to tell him - it's his birthday present for the weekend smile

Tinseltower Mon 12-Feb-18 16:22:52

Oh wow fantastic! How did you do it in the end?

slashdragon Mon 12-Feb-18 17:15:54

Rang up. They wouldn't give e details but when said was paying balance they suddenly became compliant! I said I knew balance was in region of £xxx and they took payment. Suspiciously easy!

TalkinPeace Mon 12-Feb-18 17:41:11

What a lovely thing to do.
Now just make sure that he saves the amount he used to use to pay off his loan rather than splurges it smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now