Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Deceased persons bank account

(55 Posts)
PoloPrincess Fri 09-Feb-18 22:09:40

What do I do if I know someone is using a deceased persons bank account to hide money?
Who do I report it to as it has already been reported to the bank and they've chosen to ignore my concerns and have kept the account open.
This isn't right is it? Is it legal? It's definately morally wrong though surely.

CotswoldStrife Fri 09-Feb-18 22:13:02

Is it a joint account? Are they an executor?

UrsulaPandress Fri 09-Feb-18 22:14:59

I can't believe the bank have ignored your concerns.

CotswoldStrife Fri 09-Feb-18 22:20:31

With the strict regulations about money I doubt the bank have ignored anything, tbh. It is more likely that the OP doesn't agree with the way the estate is being dealt with.

OurMiracle1106 Fri 09-Feb-18 22:23:05

Depends how long they’ve been passed for. If it’s a matter of selling things from the estate and they are putting money in or out then actually I think that’s wise especially if money needs to be split.

If it’s being used long term it’s fraud.

buckeejit Fri 09-Feb-18 22:23:57

Why is it bothering you so much? You've done all you can. There's plenty of ways people can hide money & this is a risky way. Presumably they were close to the deceased so likely to get caught. Unless there's a real urgent reason not to, leave them to it & don't worry about it if it isn't harming you directly

Sarsparella Fri 09-Feb-18 22:26:17

Who is the executor for the deceased? The bank should be contacted by them and a copy of the death certificate needs to be provided and then any dealings with the money is part of the will

Who is dealing with that side? Is there a solicitor involved? A bank would not ignore the misuse of funds from an account where the holder has died - what do you think is happening, exactly?

Sarsparella Fri 09-Feb-18 22:27:35

If you think something is wrong you could report to the financial ombudsman but banks take these situations very seriously

PoloPrincess Fri 09-Feb-18 22:27:54

Its regarding my STBXH using his mother's bank account. She died in 6 years ago.
It concerns me because I have my suspicions that he is working and he's claiming benefits at the same time.

1stMrsF Fri 09-Feb-18 22:29:38

Report him for benefit fraud?

Sarsparella Fri 09-Feb-18 22:31:21

Has probate been sorted yet? That might be why her account is still active

PoloPrincess Fri 09-Feb-18 22:32:04

Cotswoldstrife there is no estate to deal with, the account was virtually empty when she passed, there wasn't enough to cover the cost of the funeral anyway.

endofthelinefinally Fri 09-Feb-18 22:33:27

The bank will do nothing unless you send them a death certificate.

RandomMess Fri 09-Feb-18 22:34:45

Order a death certificate and send it in.

PoloPrincess Fri 09-Feb-18 22:39:22

The bank admitted that they had no clue how to deal with this and I think they've swept it under the carpet. Probably low level fraud so haven't got time to deal with it.
I don't know what to do, perhaps DWP is the way to go.

endofthelinefinally Fri 09-Feb-18 22:41:47

So have you sent the bank a death certificate?
Nothing can be done by anybody until the bank has the death certificate.

PoloPrincess Fri 09-Feb-18 22:41:48

endof the line and random

Good idea. Thank you.

PoloPrincess Fri 09-Feb-18 22:44:02

It's a bit of a mess, obviously, but we weren't next of kin and didn't have the death certs. I wonder if i could order one myself.

endofthelinefinally Fri 09-Feb-18 22:45:13

Yes you can order one but you will have to pay for it.

endofthelinefinally Fri 09-Feb-18 22:45:42

Who is next of kin?

Viviennemary Fri 09-Feb-18 22:47:03

Of course it should bother the OP. It is highly irregular to say the least. I'd report it to the police and the banking ombudsman.

endofthelinefinally Fri 09-Feb-18 22:49:02

The police and the banking ombudsman will require a death certificate.

PoloPrincess Fri 09-Feb-18 22:49:15

Neither of us were next of kin. STBXH dealt with her money, benifits and bank because we lived closer to her than the rest of the family.

starfishmummy Fri 09-Feb-18 22:49:21

I'm sure the bank will take it seriously, but just can't tell a third party

endofthelinefinally Fri 09-Feb-18 22:53:09

Everybody has a next of kin unless there are no living relatives.
Someone must have registered the death?
That person would have collected the certificates and would be responsible for notifying DWP, bank, etc.
Unless she died in secret and nobody else knew?
Did anyone arrange a funeral?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now