Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Charge for proof of no claims?

(5 Posts)
edmel Fri 09-Feb-18 15:26:58

I have just spoken to my ex's previous car insurance company who want to charge him £10 to send out his proof of 1 year's no claims. My ex has had cancer and is still very unwell - he is on limited financial means. I explained this to the insurance company, but they are adamant he will have to pay. I've never had to pay for this before with my own insurance - are they allowed to charge? Thanks for any input

Bringmewineandcake Fri 09-Feb-18 15:35:44

Can you find the renewal quote they sent? Mine had my ncd noted on it.

edmel Fri 09-Feb-18 15:52:45

I checked - it doesn't sad

Mycarsmellsoflavender Fri 09-Feb-18 16:08:54

Bit mean but it doesn't surprise me. Insurance companies will add on admin charges for anything if they can.
I can recommend Churchill in this respect. I had to request a proof of no claims from them as I'd had a few months without my own insurance policy after my car died and I was driving DH's car as the named driver. They sent out a paper copy to me without charge within a week.

Mycarsmellsoflavender Fri 09-Feb-18 22:11:21

I've just realised you said it wasn't on the renewal letter. Yes, that does sound unethical. Basically "stay with us or we'll charge you £10". Not sure who to contact about it though - sorry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now