Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Tax credits ... ending the madness!

(13 Posts)
walkalongjosie Thu 08-Feb-18 17:53:09

Does anyone here know if I can end my claim for tax credits even though we will still be eligible for them? I'm assuming we'd need to do it in April but Im not sure if we can ask for them to be stopped. Will I need a reason? We've been overpaid and I'm finding it so stressful sorting all of it out. My partner is has his own business so wages aren't set in stone and when they want the figures we don't know them so always an estimate and then we're overpaid by the time we definitely know what they are. Drives me mad
I'd rather manage on what we have and not have to be on the phone feeling anxious all the time.
On April there will still be a small overpayment amount so could I cancel and then arrange to pay this off?
Really appreciate any help
Thanks

QuiteLikely5 Thu 08-Feb-18 18:15:03

Yes. Just ring them up and tell them you no longer wish to claim tax credits.

You don’t have to say why

walkalongjosie Thu 08-Feb-18 18:31:07

As easy as that? That sounds good..
Do you know this for sure?

BeyondThePage Thu 08-Feb-18 18:37:04

Yes - we did the same. When we were just about on the threshold for earnings it was a case of be given it, in order to eventually be asked for most of it back (we are talking us being under £30 "up", for weeks of hassle).

Bloomin ridiculous - BUT - YES - it was as easy as ring them and say you don't want to claim - I reckon they get a few....

walkalongjosie Thu 08-Feb-18 18:48:10

Thanks so much!
Will breathea huge sigh of relief when it's done with..

bimbobaggins Thu 08-Feb-18 21:52:04

Yes, I did this. They weren’t interested in why I was ending it. They asked if I wanted to do it straight away, yes or wait until the end of the tax year and pay it back. I chose straight away.
The amount of horror stories you see especially on here is ridiculous

lostherenow Thu 08-Feb-18 21:54:42

I wouldn't. Just because if your DH's income suddenly went down, eg if he was long term sick, then you would have to apply again, probably couldn't backdate and in most areas now would end up under universal credit not tax credits which would leave you much worse off. So unless you have savings for emergencies you are a lot better off staying on the TC system as a safeguard even if you aren't entitled to very much this year.

walkalongjosie Fri 09-Feb-18 06:39:26

I appreciate that, however for the last 3 years it's been nothing but a pain in my arse to get tax credits and constantly be on the phone to them, sometimes to someone really helpful but other times to someone who made me feel like I was trying to screw them over. I've worked all my life and we needed the help as my partner set up his business so that we can better ourselves and not need the tax credits any more but I'd rather take the risk of being up shit creek if things go wrong than be in this constant cycle of worrying about updating hmrc on every detail to avoid the bloody overpayments which happen anyway..
Am so relieved I can sort this out

Afreshcuppateaplease Fri 09-Feb-18 06:41:49

You can do most changes online op its a much easier way of changing income etc

lougle Fri 09-Feb-18 06:44:42

Why don't you underestimate, so that you end up in an underpayment situation? That way they would owe you.

Babyroobs Fri 09-Feb-18 17:36:29

You can end the claim but would still need to send in final earnings figures for this year or they can take the whole lot back !

TheRebel Sun 11-Feb-18 11:47:20

Why not just overestimate your earnings so they’re not paying you anything all year then give them the actual figures at the end of the year and if they owe you anything they can pay you it then. That way you won’t be losing out and you can just see it as a little bonus.

walkalongjosie Sun 11-Feb-18 17:07:48

Not sure.. Just feels like I can't get it right at the minute. I did overestimate once but then a letter came about doing a check of our accounts and wanted my partners business info so just feels like I'm under a spotlight with them all the time. I'd rather pay what I owe, cancel the claim etc and then breathe

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now