Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Property sale

(11 Posts)
Roxymumoftwokids Wed 07-Feb-18 22:46:55

Hi, we put our property on the market back in September and got an offer after first viewing. The offer was 23k less than the asking price but we decided to accept it. We were due to exchange last Wednesday when the estate agent called me in the morning saying our buyers pulled out! We got quite upset but decided to put the propery back on the market. We 've got a call from the estate agent this Monday saying that buyers decided if we reduce the price by further 37k, which is 9% of the asking price! He said we should go for it as it's uncertain when we will find new buyers and that the money will be collected from the whole chain. I really don't feel like selling them our place after them pulling out right before the exchange. Any advice on what to do. Thanks.

CotswoldStrife Wed 07-Feb-18 22:52:54

That does look as if they have deliberately pulled out at the last minute to force you to drop the price. I wouldn't go anywhere near those buyers again but I am stubborn!

If I was in your chain I wouldn't be too happy at being asked to alter the price of my sale/purchase because your buyers were CF. But it does happen.

Pearlsaringer Wed 07-Feb-18 23:16:30

If the EA can get everyone else in the chain to accept a reduction then good luck to them and at least your sale can go ahead but I wouldn’t be taking any further hit if it were me. I would have no faith in these buyers to complete the purchase.

CotswoldStrife Wed 07-Feb-18 23:34:24

Also, if you reject their latest offer, they may just come back with a higher figure if they do want the house (I still wouldn't trust them though!)

m0therofdragons Wed 07-Feb-18 23:44:08

Gosh, I wouldn't want any dealings with them. It's their original offer or not at all. Pulling out just before exchange is only acceptable if you lose your job or spouse/dc dies. No other excuse is acceptable and they are essentially blackmailing you knowing don't want to lose the house you're buying. I'd tell them to stick it. Estate agent just wants their commission!

RandomUsernameHere Wed 07-Feb-18 23:52:03

I wouldn't sell to them unless you are absolutely desperate, they have shown themselves to be completely lacking in integrity. You said they were the first viewing when the house first went on the market, so is it an option to leave it on for a while? Of course it's uncertain when you will find new buyers as the EA said, but it's barely been on the market to find out.
Maybe I'm being a bit cynical, but it sounds like the EA is trying to take the easy route. 37k is a hell of a lot of money for you to lose, but 1% (or whatever you're paying them) of 37k is not a lot of money to them. It's in their interests to push the sale through quickly at a lower price. Good luck whatever you decide to do!

Jon66 Wed 07-Feb-18 23:55:32

I wouldn't reduce the price any further unless there has been a number of issues brought up on survey. But then I'm stubborn. You are just approaching peak property time March to July so I would hold on.

chocolateorangeowls Wed 07-Feb-18 23:58:11

I wouldn't sell to them now out of principle. Someone did similar to us, we told them to sod off and put our house back on the market. It sold within 6 days.

retirednow Thu 08-Feb-18 00:00:27

So they want 60k off the asking price, did the estate agent ask why they pulled out and want a further reduction, was it something on the survey. I wouldn't accept the offer, they sound very precise amounts, what was the original asking price and what are they offering. I'd also change estate agents.

Viviennemary Thu 08-Feb-18 10:53:28

I wouldn't sell to them either. They are mean dishonest people. Give them a miss. I'd rather lose money and not sell than give in to this type of person.

Roxymumoftwokids Fri 09-Feb-18 02:00:56

Thanks a lot everyone. I feel the same, they do not deserve to live in our place. The building survey was fine, there is nothing wrong with our place. It's lovely, we are moving out as family expanded and we need more space. We decided to find a new buyer. X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now