Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Applying for first time mortgage

(8 Posts)
Sofabitch Sat 13-Jan-18 14:29:21

So..what do I need to know?

Is it worth using a broker? When do I commision a solicitor.

I'm not grown up enough to do this.! Is there a simple guide/timeline of things I need to do, or is it worth using a broker just for the guidance?

hejg283 Sat 13-Jan-18 15:01:37

Hi, in an estate agent. Definitely worth using a broker! They do cost money but they are so worth it. They will look at all the lenders for you and do all the running round so you don't have to have any direct contact with the lender.

You'll only need a solicitor once you've found a house because they just deal with the legal side of things like searches and enquiries.

VacantExpression Sat 13-Jan-18 15:05:40

Not all brokers cost money, I work for a whole of market company that don't charge a fee.

I would definitely recommend one (well I would wouldn't I), get recommendations from family and friends is a good place to start

OneMoreOne Sat 13-Jan-18 15:13:56

I sound a bit like I work for them, as I always recommend them, but London and Country are great.

Freephone, long opening hours, check whole of market (apart from lenders that specifically don't go through brokers, not many). Give them a call just tell them your situation they'll walk you through the mortgage and make sure you get a good deal.

For the house buying process look up the PDF booklet on Money Saving Expert.

With both of those you are set!

OneMoreOne Sat 13-Jan-18 15:15:24

Oh except I wouldn't use Premier Property Lawyers (sometimes recommended by L&C) try to get a recommendation of a conveyancer (property solicitor) from someone you know. They don't need to be in your area, you can do it all by phone/email/post.

OneMoreOne Sat 13-Jan-18 15:16:11

PS. I still don't feel grown up enough to do it, on my third house...

Sofabitch Sat 13-Jan-18 16:04:42

Thank you!

Its been in planning forever! But finding a step by step guide seems tricky and now its actually a reality its feeling complex!

OneMoreOne Sat 13-Jan-18 16:07:22

This will help a lot: www.moneysavingexpert.com/first-time-mortgage/

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: