Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Anyone live without a credit card?

(97 Posts)
Snowman123 Fri 12-Jan-18 20:47:34

Does anyone only have a debit card? Do you have any problems living without a credit card?
(thinking about giving mine up for good.....remove all temptation)

SocksRock Fri 12-Jan-18 21:30:00

Yup, I have one bank account, one debit card that goes with it and no credit card. Basically, if I don’t have the money, I can’t have it.

I put some money each month aside for car services and other one off big items. I haven’t had a credit card for 10 years now.

I do have credit - I took a bank loan to buy my car, and have used store credit for a kitchen and once a washing machine. I just don’t have an open ended line of credit. Also have a mortgage.

Basically I was shit with money. I’m much better now, but it took a while to get there.

PinkBuffalo Fri 12-Jan-18 21:32:45

I don't have a credit card. If I can't afford it, I don't have it. I save all year to afford car insurance, tax, service & mot. All completed by end of April when I start saving again. I'm frightened of getting into debt, and only expecting to have a mortgage to owe on when I hopefully get it this year.

DeegeeDee Fri 12-Jan-18 21:34:00

Same as Socks, was bad with credit cards so stick to debit. If I don't have the money, I don't buy.

Only problem is when travelling overseas for work, hotels all seem to want credit cards and make a point of telling me all the money will come off my card there and then (thank you, am ok with that reception staff).

CourtneyLoveIsMySpiritAnimal Fri 12-Jan-18 21:36:53

Haven't had a credit card since 1999. DH has never had a credit card (although he's had various loans over the years, mainly for cars or home improvements).

We've managed just fine.

OneWildNightWithJBJ Fri 12-Jan-18 21:38:45

I've never had one. Never thought of any need to get one really!

Love51 Fri 12-Jan-18 21:40:26

DH and I never had one. Years ago we went on holiday abroad and needed one to pay for a room deposit, debit card wouldn't cut it. Luckily we had other family on holiday with us so put it on their card and reimbursed them (hadn't realized before we went). Now he has one, which we needed for another foreign holiday which went a bit off plan at the end, and we actually needed to pay for stuff which insurance later reimbursed us for. I still don't have one but will get one if I ever go abroad without DH.

LillianGish Fri 12-Jan-18 21:41:19

I have one but rarely use it and if I do (eg buying plane tickets so I’m insured if there’s a problem) I pay it off straight away before incurring any interest.

Puttingmyselfoutthere Fri 12-Jan-18 21:43:41

Yip, never had a cc, don't trust myself. I have a current account that my wage goes in and direct debits for all bills. A second current account that I put my spending money in to each month and an easy savers account for savings.

I have been thinking about getting a credit card to keep as a safety net for holiday bookings etc. Not been brave enough so far.

silkpyjamasallday Fri 12-Jan-18 21:43:59

I've never had a credit card, my parents always drummed into me never to get credit, too many family members have been ruined because of credit card debts. If I can't afford something I can't have it, it's a very simple way to live! I am however planning on getting one in the not too distant future to build up good credit for getting a mortgage.

dudsville Fri 12-Jan-18 21:49:11

I have taken out a time limited 0 interest credit card for things that would have required a small loan, such as a new bathroom. I then pay it off before the interest kicks in and close the account. Otherwise, I live on what I earn.

BackforGood Fri 12-Jan-18 21:49:47

Loads of people don't have credit cards....... but you do realise that you can have a credit card, use it throughout the month, and then pay it off. Having a credit card, doesn't mean buying stuff you can't afford.

RandomUsernameHere Fri 12-Jan-18 21:52:31

I've always had credit cards but have always payed them off in full every month, never paid a penny in interest. I use them because they offer better protection than debit cards and you can collect Airmiles, cash back and other rewards with them. Could also be useful in an emergency.
You could always ask to reduce your credit limit if you're worried about overspending.

goose1964 Fri 12-Jan-18 21:54:57

No credit card here. The only downside is that some companies like bookings by credit card ( hotels mainly) The best thing though is that you really think whether you need something rather than want it.As you're not paying credit card bills you actually have more cash to dpend

Snowman123 Fri 12-Jan-18 21:58:39

Thats the thing.....I have lost a holiday in the past because of Co going bust and the credit card paid out. I also get airmiles on the card.
Just thought it maybe easier just to deal with cash.

MonaTheMoaner Fri 12-Jan-18 21:59:48

I live with no credit card and no overdraft. It means saving, being frugal and going without sometimes but it means we don’t get into any more debt and learn to manage our money responsibly.

sausagerollsrock Fri 12-Jan-18 22:01:19

I don’t have a credit card. Don’t trust myself to remember to pay it off on time.

HermioneAndMsJones Fri 12-Jan-18 22:03:03

I will always have a CC to do any shopping online. Too dangerous to do it with debit card in my opinion.
And yes there is also some added protection if you use a CC.

Having said that, I have never used my CC to get credit (really too expensive). It’s paid in full at the end of the month. So the situation is the same than anyone with no CC, overdraft etc...

Snowman123 Fri 12-Jan-18 22:03:06

Thats my point Mona. I think without the safety net of a credit card, I would be forced to be frugal and live within my means.

On the other hand I frequently travel abroad alone with my children on holiday.....

Snowman123 Fri 12-Jan-18 22:04:14

Online shopping.....another good point.

Maybe reducing the limit is the answer. I do pay it off in full every month (usually!)

softkittywarmkitty28 Fri 12-Jan-18 22:04:36

I have never had a credit card.
I'm careful with money and save each month.
I'm not saying I will never need one but I'm hoping not too

Whisky2014 Fri 12-Jan-18 22:05:18

I have a cc purely for protected purchases but I pay off immediately. Really rarely use it. Everything else...debut card

HermioneAndMsJones Fri 12-Jan-18 22:05:53

Re being easier with no CC, I’m not so sure tbh.

CC or not, what is important is to know how to budget and to follow your spending regularly.
I have a CC that I use only for food shopping. I know exactly how much is my budget for the month and can follow carefully if I’m on track or not duinrg the month.
Same with the CC I use.
Both are used for specific things and have a budget attached to it. A quick check with the bank app tells me if I’m on track, have overspent etc....

AprilShowers16 Fri 12-Jan-18 22:07:05

I’ve never had a cc. Thought I might get one in the future if it ever looks like we might be able to buy a house so I can build up a good credit score. Or would consider getting one for flights etc. But I don’t have loads of spare money and don’t really make any big purchases that would require protection. I just budget the money I have each month and try to save a bit where I can

HermioneAndMsJones Fri 12-Jan-18 22:07:06

YY about lowering the limit if that is your biggest worry!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: