Talk

Advanced search

Feeling ripped off by Butlins

(10 Posts)
laurencellewelynbellend Tue 09-Jan-18 12:59:49

Its all done now and I probably just need to calm down a bit but I am feeling really ripped off by Butlins so having a bit of a rant! Booked a just for tots break at a special 'sale' price on 2 Jan which was the expiry date of the so called special sale price. On 3 Jan I received a leaflet offering me 10% off plus an extra £25 off which meant the exact break I have booked was £30 cheaper not 12 hours after I had booked it. I emailed Butlins but was given a load of spiel about prices go up and as well as down dependent on availability and so there was nothing they could do - obviously this was nothing to do with availability but a marketing strategy. I understand prices change, and if it had changed a few weeks later then fair enough. Its just very frustrating when you book at a so called sale price by a certain date, only to find its cheaper again the day after booking. Totally spoilt the excitement at booking a break and for the sake of £30 or a bit of goodwill has lost Butlins a repeat customer.

MagicFajita Tue 09-Jan-18 13:03:06

You could apply this logic to anything op...the shoes on your feet , the bed you sleep on etc.

Forget about it and enjoy your forthcoming break.

Branleuse Tue 09-Jan-18 13:51:38

Thems the breaks.

I booked a eurocamp holiday once and then a week later the same holiday was bloody half price. I phoned up and whinged, and they did me free bedding packs and a small grocery pack as a goodwill gesture. Wasnt as good value as the half price would have been, but you take your chances when you book things. Sometimes theyll go down in a sale, sometimes theyll sell out and you would have missed out entirely if you dont book then.

laurencellewelynbellend Tue 09-Jan-18 21:00:28

Thanks all. I know all that, just could have done without a 'here's what you could have won leaflet' coming through my door the very next day! Heigh ho.

Bringmewineandcake Tue 09-Jan-18 21:08:07

Isn’t it protected by their booking price match guarantee? Can’t remember the actual name sorry. You can only use it once so don’t check the prices again, but it might at least get you the £30 deducted.

strugglingthroughlife Tue 09-Jan-18 21:32:30

When you get there and realise what a con it is you'll feel even more ripped off.

We went to Bognor Regis and it was a massive let down! We had to spend so much extra money just to stay entertained while there, a lot of it was centred around the arcade machines that you have to pay for and it was rotten.

Left a review on trip advisor. But we're never visiting that place again, they've completely lost the original idea of Butlins, to pay the one price and have the holiday. It's expensive and more so when you get there

BarbaraofSevillle Wed 10-Jan-18 06:29:17

Lots of businesses do this, especially all the sofa and kitchen retailers which seem to have a permanent sale on.

The practice has been investigated by Which? and trading standards and the companies who do this claim they don't intend to mislead customers, but it seems absolutely designed to make people panic into making a purchase before the sale ends.

www.theguardian.com/money/2017/dec/30/holiday-firms-hurry-deals-dupe-customers-says-which

Changednamejustincase Sat 13-Jan-18 19:00:13

That is annoying. Fair enough if they reduce the price the day after you book but not if you book on the last day of the sale. Don't let it spoil your holiday though.

As for the arcade machines costing a fortune when you get there. Don't use them.

Winebottle Sat 13-Jan-18 19:14:39

That's just how it goes. You win some, you lose some. Don't believe the 'sale ends in 28mins'. It's obviously a marketing strategy.

laurencellewelynbellend Sat 20-Jan-18 08:56:41

Quick update, after my follow up complaint email they have come back and offered to refund the difference so it was worth perservering. Thanks Butlins, a bit of goodwill makes all the difference. Thanks everyone for your responses.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: