Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Can i claim these bank charges back?

(30 Posts)
cherryontopp Wed 13-Dec-17 17:11:17

For years, my bank has charged me £25 everytime i go over drawn.

So i have paid a £6 current account 'protection' every month so if i do go over drawn, i dont get charges.

They also told me, years after i had my overdraft, that they would start charging me £7 for being having an over draft. Their reply was "all banks are now doing it".
So my option was to pay ny £450 overdraft off (which i couldnt/cant afford) or pay it.

Surely though they cant give you an overdraft for free and then tell you years down the line, were gonna start charging you for it.

So can i 1)claim my bank charges back?
2)claim back the £6 protection
3) claim back the £7 i pay just for having an overdraft?

ny20005 Wed 13-Dec-17 17:13:22

They can. Overdraft is supposed to be short term borrowing.

You'll need to speak to them & see if they do a reducing overdraft & agree to an amount to reduce it by each month (that you can afford)

cherryontopp Wed 13-Dec-17 17:46:47

So i cant claim any of the charges back?

MickeyLuv Wed 13-Dec-17 20:09:09

So i cant claim any of the charges back?

No. As you have obviously used your overdraft regularly, wht would you think you could claim the charges back? I can't think of any bank that offers a free overdraft to 'normal' customers.

PersianCatLady Wed 13-Dec-17 20:13:06

I thought that claiming back bank charges was for charges that you had paid that you didn't need.

For example, premium account charges when you can't use any of the benefits.

You have clearly made full use of the overdraft facility so I don't think there are any grounds under which you could get the charges back.

It would be great if I am wrong though.

ny20005 Wed 13-Dec-17 20:26:01

No you can't claim any of the charges back as You applied for the overdraft & used it

SheRaaarghPrincessOfPower Wed 13-Dec-17 20:44:25

What bank was it with?

I think there may be something you can do actuslly, just trying to find that right information

Penguin27 Wed 13-Dec-17 20:55:51

Is it an arranged overdraft (the bank have agreed it in advance and made the funds available to you), or an unarranged overdraft (where you've just gone into a negative balance)?

SheRaaarghPrincessOfPower Wed 13-Dec-17 20:58:19

I saw something on the packaged bank account threat about overdraft fees. It's a kind of PPI I think.

Ive looked and I can't find anything about claiming, it doesn't look good I'm afraid.

You could always try Resolver, see how far you get, but it's down to the individual bank to decide if the charges were fair or not

PersianCatLady Wed 13-Dec-17 21:11:25

I saw something on the packaged bank account threat about overdraft fees
Some banks used to push customers into packaged accounts with "benefits" such as worldwide travel insurance and phone insurance.

One complaint was that some travel insurances would only cover those up to age 70.

Not a lot of point in a packaged bank account with those "benefits" if you are 80 and don't own a mobile phone.

These are the sort of people who are claiming back bank charges.

SheRaaarghPrincessOfPower Wed 13-Dec-17 21:22:17

Yes, I wasn't talking about packaged bank accounts, but a comment someone made about reclaiming overdraft protection charges.

PersianCatLady Wed 13-Dec-17 21:37:43

Yes, I wasn't talking about packaged bank accounts
Sorry your post did say about packaged bank accounts, nevermind

Mossend Wed 13-Dec-17 21:44:19

No.
An overdraft is a lending service and the bank are well within their right for charging you for using this service.

SheRaaarghPrincessOfPower Wed 13-Dec-17 21:57:13

Yes, because I was referring to the thread I started a while back about packaged bank fees hmm

zoomer445 Thu 14-Dec-17 02:04:02

My siblings are both in their 30s, they do not have kids. I'd be quite upset if they didn't buy my kids presents. They're all married. have good jobs. Own home and car etc. They prob spend the same amount of money on fags per week as it would to buy a present. Not jealous 😝😳

cherryontopp Thu 14-Dec-17 19:45:57

I know i cant claim the £7 monthly fee for my over drafr back, but i was under the impression that people can claim the £25 per direct debit charge if it goes over?

TheNaze73 Thu 14-Dec-17 19:48:25

I don’t see how you could possibly claim for this

LuxuryWoman2017 Thu 14-Dec-17 19:51:53

Are you talking about overdraft protection insurance?
If so that may very well have beeno incorrectly sold to you. It was to me and I got it back.

PersianCatLady Thu 14-Dec-17 20:12:26

zoomer445
Wrong thread, I think.

PersianCatLady Thu 14-Dec-17 20:17:12

i was under the impression that people can claim the £25 per direct debit charge if it goes over?
I thought that most banks had stopped charging £25 for bounced DDs??

PersianCatLady Thu 14-Dec-17 20:18:44

Also most banks introduced the "retry process" in 2014 to try and stop customers being charged.

zoomer445 Thu 14-Dec-17 20:44:19

Oops sorry

cherryontopp Thu 14-Dec-17 21:31:08

Yes banks have stopped doing this now, but as on the martin lewis site, it says you can reclaim the £25 charges back from 6 years ago.

PersianCatLady Thu 14-Dec-17 21:56:07

on the martin lewis site, it says you can reclaim the £25 charges back from 6 years ago
Overdraft charges were ruled not to be unfair by the Supreme Court so the OFT cannot help people to claim back these charges.

Some people MAY be able to challenge the fees on the grounds of severe hardship but only in a very few cases.

If you have got a link where he says you CAN get the charges back that would be great.

LuxuryWoman2017 Thu 14-Dec-17 22:48:21

Op you will be able to claim the overdraft protection if it was wrongly sold. It's PPI for overdrafts. I had mine refunded and it was a lot of money.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now