Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

IPhone 5c... worth hanging on to?

(13 Posts)
tobitcoinornottobitcoin Wed 06-Dec-17 19:54:28

So I have a 2 year old iPhone 5c which is almost at the end of its contract. I don't want to have to buy a new phone, just want to buy a pay monthly plan.

How future proof is the 5c though?! I would prefer not to have to get a Pay Monthly plan which & then have to buy a phone on a shit deal in the near future...

MissConductUS Wed 06-Dec-17 20:09:11

The 5c is limited to ios 10 and the current ios is 11, so you won't get any more updates. That doesn't mean that you won't get more use out of it, particularly if you get the battery replaced.

tobitcoinornottobitcoin Wed 06-Dec-17 21:42:56

Good to know, thank you

JoJoSM2 Fri 08-Dec-17 08:56:12

That’s what I’m planning to do. Just get a contract for 5-10 quid a month. And when the phone dies, I’ll just get a new one. The plan does involve forking our for a new phone but over the course of 2-3 years it will work out a lot cheaper especially if the current IPhone lasts for another year.

MoreProseccoNow Sun 10-Dec-17 15:24:09

I went on to SIM only when my contact finished, but the phone only lasted a year or so, then I had to get a new one anyway.

I recycled my phone (envirophone, I think) then took out a contract on an SE for £25 a month. Not the latest model, but same size as 5c & better camera.

tobitcoinornottobitcoin Mon 11-Dec-17 13:17:19

Yep, SIM only for as long as I can hold out I think... it makes me angry that such expensive items have such short shelf lives! But bloody hell I'm addicted so I can't get a non-smartphone..

mizu Tue 12-Dec-17 20:14:50

SIM only. I've done that for 2 years, phone has just completely died and I've bought one from eBay for £80. Pay £10 a month for the SIM only.

Lokisglowstickofdestiny Tue 12-Dec-17 20:18:54

I've an IPhone 5 - nearly 4 years old and a sim only deal. I'll get a new phone once the apps I like using no longer work with IOS 10 - I reckon that will be a good 18 - 24 months yet, I think it's ridiculous how people buy new phones after 2 years.

Madcats Wed 13-Dec-17 08:57:07

We are a sim-only family (we've always bought unlocked iphones) and pay £7 - £10 each. There are plenty of one month notice deals around (you can get your phone unlocked once it is out of contract). I would imagine you would get at least another year of use out of your 5C.

We ran an iphone 4S for a good 5 years (did get a new battery) before we found we couldn't run all the apps we needed. I replaced it with a refurbished 6S after the latest batch of iphones came out.

I've been very happy using Quickmobilefix (bought a 5C for DD and my 6S from them).

tobitcoinornottobitcoin Thu 14-Dec-17 10:46:49

Going to try and get a cheap SIM only deal...

Madcats Thu 14-Dec-17 13:03:32

OP/PP we got a Plusnet SIM for my SiL when she came over from the States. It seemed to work fine in most places she visited. Lots of options for £7/month.

lucylouuu Thu 14-Dec-17 13:06:08

Get a monthly rolling SIM only plan so that when your phone does break, you can stop the SIM only contract immediately to set up a phone contract.

It means you're not tied in to a 2 year contract. Recently got a 1GB SIM only plan for £5 a month at Carphone Warehouse, they have lots of monthly rolling plans as do Three.

tobitcoinornottobitcoin Sun 17-Dec-17 08:16:57

Those prices are much better!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now