Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Can one person of a couple be left money individually

(8 Posts)
katymac Tue 05-Dec-17 14:43:54

or would it be included in the general pot

if the partner were in a nursing home would the inheritance be used to pay for the care

i assumed it would be used to pay for care as when you are married you are one entity

MrsPatmore Tue 05-Dec-17 14:56:44

I think nursing home costs may come out of joint household income/savings. However, this is a complicated area. Age UK have leaflets about financing nursing care or you could ring them and speak to an adviser.

WildRosesGrow Tue 05-Dec-17 15:07:47

Individuals are responsible for their own care costs. So if their spouse were to inherit some money, then it would not affect their assessment for help with paying for care.

From the Age Uk fact sheet:
Your local authority cannot include capital or income belonging to your partner in your financial assessment. This is because it does not have the power to assess couples according to joint resources - each person must be treated individually.

www.ageuk.org.uk/globalassets/age-uk/documents/factsheets/fs39_paying_for_care_in_a_care_home_if_you_have_a_partner_fcs.pdf

katymac Tue 05-Dec-17 15:09:10

it's not really my business; just the person said they were inheriting the money personally so it couldn't be used for care home fees

& I wondered if it was true

katymac Tue 05-Dec-17 15:11:25

Interesting - thanks

Ellisandra Tue 05-Dec-17 15:33:30

I don't think you can inherit much jointly - if anything.
If I want to leave £100 to 2 children, I would have to specify the share in my will.

JoJoSM2 Tue 05-Dec-17 15:48:50

Well, if it’s done at the last minute to avoid paying for care, then the government isn’t daft and you can’t just get out of paying fees by quickly signing the money over to someone.

katymac Tue 05-Dec-17 16:01:19

well hopefully you wouldn't just kill your MIL just because you've gone into a home

So you can't do anything short notice wrt an inheritance

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now