Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Can I afford to become a student?

(11 Posts)
Longwalkoffashortpier Tue 05-Dec-17 14:31:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Longwalkoffashortpier Wed 06-Dec-17 06:34:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WaitingForEgg Wed 06-Dec-17 06:41:24

I’d imagine the year access course will be the most tricky financially then the degeee should be ok. I’m a student with a 2 year old. Lone parents get a large portion of childcare paid for, plus maintenance, parental grant etc. There is a student finance calculator you can do online

emochild Wed 06-Dec-17 06:51:02

I've just finished a degree -lone parent, 2 children and I receive DLA for one of them

Income while I was studying was tax credits, DLA, family allowance which was around £1200 every 4 weeks

My student loan/grant was £3,200 at the start of each term -I paid this into a separate account and released funds each month so it balanced across the year -some don't and then find April-September a long time to make the loan stretch

I have no childcare costs as my children are older and family help out if needed
I pay a mortgage so got no housing benefit but I think as a single parent you are entitled to claim as a mature student

I don't know if you would get the same level of support for an access course but the degree is doable

Runninglateeveryday Wed 06-Dec-17 07:01:01

It is possible, i have 1 child and had about 11000 a year from student finance and child tax credit it was tough but managed it. The NHS bursary has now gone. Do you privately rent ? Some areas provide housing benefit to students but some don't. For me the cost of travel was the worst as i am not close to the university.

Longwalkoffashortpier Wed 06-Dec-17 08:01:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

isthistoonosy Wed 06-Dec-17 11:14:38

Could you do a suitable access course with the open university while working pt tl get through that finacially?

emochild Wed 06-Dec-17 19:40:00

No carers allowance if you are a full time student but you can claim if you are part time

Runninglateeveryday Wed 06-Dec-17 20:42:37

Do you have any GCSE's ? I got into uni without many (only got 3!) and no access.

Hogwartssnitch Wed 06-Dec-17 20:46:45

I'm almost finished a similar course, it's easily managed at uni as long as you budget properly, I have two kids and childcare costs which were almost covered too. On the access course I only got tax credits though so that was more tight, but it's not 5 days a week so you could still work part time

QuiteLikely5 Wed 06-Dec-17 20:51:57

Definitely. You get so much help as a lone parent you will be fine.

You get help with childcare costs and extra elements

Good luck

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: