Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Car tax refund in maiden name

(11 Posts)
loveablether Mon 04-Dec-17 12:23:31

So I’ve been married 6 years and never got round to changing my married name (thought I had!)

Car is getting scrapped and currently sitting on my driveway, declared SORN waiting for days/weeks till scrap merchants collects and pays me £145 for it.

I have a refund cheque for £67 in my maiden name. Scrappy is happy to scrap with v5 in maiden name apparently.

Do I declare to DVLA name mistake (honest mistake) or would I risk getting a fine for not changing name?

Thinking easier just to cut losses..scrap car and forget but £67 would come in so handy just now.

Anyone know if I’ll likely be fined?

SueSueDonahue Mon 04-Dec-17 12:27:32

It's perfectly legal to use both names as long as you are not doing it to commit fraud.

It's quite clear you are not (as it's your car).

Would you have issues cashing the cheque? I normally take my marriage certificate and passport (where both names are listed) into my bank when I occasionally get a cheque made out in my maiden name, although that hasn't happened in a while.

I think you are over thinking this?

loveablether Mon 04-Dec-17 12:30:48

I haven’t cashed a cheque in ages so didn’t realise I could do it in my maiden name! I probably am overthinking, I’ll try that - thanks

delilahbucket Mon 04-Dec-17 22:04:42

You will find it very difficult to cash the cheque in your maiden name. Most banks won't accept these anymore. There had to be a clamp down due to fraud. It's worth asking them though.

Friolero Mon 04-Dec-17 22:06:56

I've put a cheque in my maiden name into my bank account, I just took my marriage certificate along and there was no problem. This was about 2 years ago.

Oddbutnotodd Tue 05-Dec-17 04:30:47

I've used a cheque book with my maiden name on it after 20 years ! No problem at all.

Youvegotafriendinme Tue 05-Dec-17 04:35:29

I had exactly the same thing last year and the only way I got my cash chequed is because DH aunt works for the company we bank with and even she had to get permission from her bosses. I was told 6 most post name change is the max they will do it up to. You can always contact DVLA and they can send you a new cheque in your married name once you’ve shown proof

loveablether Thu 07-Dec-17 15:43:43

Thanks guys, I took the chq, my marriage certificate, a whingey baby and when the manager said no I have a complicated version of events chat until she said yes grin

delilahbucket Thu 07-Dec-17 22:23:11

There's no guarantee that cheque will go through. It may get to the clearing centre and be refused and returned to you.

LooksBetterWithAFilter Thu 07-Dec-17 22:27:07

I had this with my bank and they ended up putting an also known as on my account of my maiden name. They also cashed a cheque in my married name that they had payed in the day I did the name change I took out and spent the money before they had even decided that it was too complicated for them to change my name and I couldn’t after all hmm for fraud prevention reasons but they had helped me fraudulently cash a cheque then if they didn’t believe my new name was my new name. It became a total saga that took over a year to sort out in the end I took my overdraft somewhere else

somewhereovertherain Wed 13-Dec-17 07:23:55

It will go through no problems only check on the Cheque is when paying. So as they’ve accepted it shouldn’t have any issues.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: