Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Exhusband wont change his address, his debt is coming to my home

(13 Posts)
Pinklemonade123 Fri 24-Nov-17 18:05:48

Can anyone help, my ex husband moved out a year ago and hasn't changed his address still and I am now receiving letters for him that say they want to collect his debt as he is refusing to pay for what he owes and has cancelled all his direct debits and changed banks.
I've tried calling the companies that are after him but will not speak to me as I'm not the account holder. What am I supposed to do when bailiffs come knocking?!

endofthelinefinally Fri 24-Nov-17 18:09:31

Do you know his address?

Paddybare Fri 24-Nov-17 18:11:25

Just write ‘not known at this address, return to sender’ on everything and put in the post box. The letters will soon stop.

MyBrilliantDisguise Fri 24-Nov-17 18:11:49

Return the letters and write on them: "Mr X hasn't lived here since DATE. He now lives at ADDRESS."

SingingSeuss Fri 24-Nov-17 18:12:41

You just have to go into branch/ call up all the companies sending the letters. It's a ain but will stop it. You don't have to open the letters, you can do it via googling the po box on the back flowers

InappropriateGavels Fri 24-Nov-17 18:48:48

After I split from my ex-husband I signed up to a credit checking website (noddle, it's free and their customer service is great) and found that there was a section on there that checked my links to other people. I requested that I was unlinked from my ex-husband.

While this won't stop you getting mail, and you can't do it if you are legally responsible for any of the debts, it's a good step to separate yourself from him. I did it because I was having trouble getting a mobile phone contract, it seems it was because I was still linked to him.

As above, I would send all post back as "not known as this address", even adding "left a year ago". Doing that should put the onus on the sender to then start looking for a new address.

If the Bailiffs do come knocking give them his new address if you do know it.

WinchestersInATardis Fri 24-Nov-17 18:55:03

I used to have a problem with this too. However, it's quite common for the debtor to no longer live at the address. Keep a copy of your council tax bill (showing you're the only resident) and some ID by the door. The collectors were normally quite happy to use that as evidence the person they were collecting from had gone.

BootsCats Fri 24-Nov-17 19:03:21

Just to say I had a problem with a parking fine once, for a car that didn't belong to anyone in my house but the postcode was wrong so kept coming to my address. I kept putting 'not at this address' and they kept sending me letters which were from debt companies, about bailiffs etc.. it took me weeks to find a real person to talk to instead of an automated service.

Be careful that doesn't happen to you.

Pinklemonade123 Fri 24-Nov-17 19:07:43

Ok thank you all!
I do not know his new address he won't tell me it.
Il just return all letters and if bailiffs do turn up il do as you've said and explain/prove he doesn't like here anymore.
Thanks x

ThomasRichard Fri 24-Nov-17 19:13:11

I’ve had the same situation for the past 2.5 years. It’s really stressful: a constant reminder of the awful things he did and the constant worrying over what he’d blown all our money on this time. Just another way he has tried to continue the abuse sad

I got a rubber stamp from eBay that says ‘Not known at this address. Return to sender’. It cost less than £5 and it’s taken about a year but the post has finally started to dry up over the past couple of months. I made sure we weren’t linked on Experian and Equifax too.

Pinklemonade123 Fri 24-Nov-17 19:18:00

Yea that's half of it a constant stress and reminder!! I still have to see him every week because of our children. Thank you xx

YouCantArgueWithStupid Fri 24-Nov-17 19:27:38

Call Experian and ask them to do a not associated with the address form. You can remove him from the address without having a forwarding one. We did it for previous tenants that lived here and we had their debtors coming here for 3 years!

Monkeypuzzle32 Fri 24-Nov-17 19:36:48

youcantarguewithstupid is correct-we had a similar thing with a neighbours son who used our address and the companies will take no notice of you saying he doesn't live there, nor will they take any notice of any new addresses you may give-police and court staff may do but that's all. If you contact Experian they can put a note on your details and if required also a password but I think that's mainly if someone is using your name.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: