Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

He let someone else use his bank account?

(5 Posts)
dazedandconfuse Tue 14-Nov-17 11:59:57

I wouldn't call this person a friend but they recently got in touch thinking I'd be able to give them some advice as they've got them self into a crap situation and apparently I seem like the sort of person that could give him some advice but honestly I have no idea.

Basically, his friend told him he's lost his card so could he use his "spare" bank account whilst he waits for a new card. So my (stupid) "friend" said yes.

So a couple of days after his friend started using the account he had a call off his bank saying they're suspending the account and he has to go into the bank to have a meeting. I'm guessing this is because the account he doesn't normally use and suddenly there is a lot of activity on it.

My "friend" is terrified. I told him it's just protocol and he should just be honest about what happened.

But I also get the feeling my "friend"s friend is probably into some dodgy dealings.

Anybody reckon they know if the bank will let it slide or will there be trouble?

Secretly hoping there is trouble as my "friend" needs a serious wake up call that he shouldn't trust people just because he wants to impress them.

Sunseed Tue 14-Nov-17 13:04:15

It's a potential money laundering situation. I'd expect trouble. The bank is duty bound to investigate.

champagneplanet Tue 14-Nov-17 13:21:26

He needs to check his account first to see what's being paid in/out.

IMO the bank are wondering why he's using a second account for security reasons or they're going to suggest a different account for him because they think he's loaded, or there's something dodgy happened, especially if a large sum has been deposited.

Surely your 'friend' needs to speak to his friend??

Lokisglowstickofdestiny Thu 16-Nov-17 00:48:51

The bank won't let it slide, they have a legal obligation to report a suspicion or knowledge of money laundering - it will depend on where these funds have originated from.

SecretNutellaFix Thu 16-Nov-17 01:16:10

He's being brought in as the suspicious activity could indicate money laundering.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now