Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Is ex responsible for repairs to house?

(10 Posts)
cakeymccakington Mon 13-Nov-17 18:33:35

Ex moved out 2 years ago.
We jointly own the house that I am still living in with our 4 children.

My front window needs replacing. We have a constant cold breeze coming through it And it's so old the seals are coming apart. The key has been lost for years so it's also a bit dangerous in case we ever needed to get out if there was a fire or anything.

Ex won't help towards the cost and I'd like to know whether legally he is liable to bear any of the cost.

I've never asked him for money for other home improvements since he moved out although I've had new flooring in and garden work done.

Grumpyfrog Mon 13-Nov-17 18:35:55

If his window was knackered would you contribute to the repairs?

cakeymccakington Mon 13-Nov-17 18:36:45

No because I don't jointly own his house.
But he does own this one

HeadSpace1 Mon 13-Nov-17 18:37:32

If he still owns half.the house he will benifit from.the upgrades if sold so I would expect half. Especially if.you have paid for.other upgrades yourself

LunarGirl Mon 13-Nov-17 18:37:44

Does he pay towards the mortgage?

pieceofpurplesky Mon 13-Nov-17 18:38:10

Does the OP own half his house grumpy? Will she get half of any equity? No.
I keep a tab of what I have spent on essential work (roof needed fixing etc.). When the house is sold I get that back and what is left is split.

Grumpyfrog Mon 13-Nov-17 18:39:14

No you both own it. Unless you're a paying tenant he can keep the house how he sees fit

MyKingdomForBrie Mon 13-Nov-17 18:41:04

Interesting one. He will benefit from any value increase but you will benefit from warmth and he won’t. Could he contribute maybe a third? I don’t know the legal position to be honest, but I suspect he wouldn’t be obliged to contribute because you’re not actually obliged to have the window replaced - it hasn’t fallen out and smashed it’s just not very good at being a window any more!

LanaDReye Mon 13-Nov-17 18:43:57

Do you have a consent order in place?

If not, as a previous poster has said keep the receipts for the point when the house is sold. I wouldn't expect you would get 50% back, but you may be able to negotiate part of it.

cakeymccakington Mon 13-Nov-17 18:44:55

Pieceofpurplesky that's a good idea. I think I'll have to put it on a credit card or something but I'll definitely keep a note of how much I've spent on the house

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now