Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Oil Central Heating

(6 Posts)
TheIntrovertedMum Mon 13-Nov-17 15:36:34

Hey everyone

I’m moving to a 3 bedroom terraced house with oil central heating from a 2 bed gas central heating apartment.

Just wondering how often you fill your tank/how long it lasts you?

We barely see the gas in our apartment but I’m under no illusions, I know oil is expensive and you’ve to pay upfront. 🙄

When do you turn your central heating on?

Peachypeaches Mon 13-Nov-17 20:49:04

We're in a 3 bed semi with oil fired heating/hot water. We put in 500 litres twice a year which is roughly £280 each time. The oil company that we use does a monthly payment plan, so we pay £45 per month.

ComtesseDeSpair Mon 13-Nov-17 23:46:46

It really depends on how well insulated the house is, it's age, whether you're in the South of England or North East Scotland etc.

When we had oil CH, we were averaging 1.5 litres an hour (at 60p per litre) between December - February. We switched to biomass under he RHI scheme pretty sharpish. But we had an old, leaky house in Scotland. Our neighbours have a relatively new build house and fill their 1,000 litre tank every three months or so - 4 bedrooms, 3 DC, so pretty high heat and hot water demand.

EauPeanUpTheGatesOfHell Sun 19-Nov-17 21:00:38

Oil in southwest is currently 41p per litre.
We have a large 4 bed bungalow we fill the tank in the summer (when oil is historically cheaper - below 30p per litre) and then top up in Jan or Feb, so max 1200 litres per year.

Nemesia Sun 19-Nov-17 21:04:38

Comtesse, can I ask you how much it was to install Biomass? We currently have electric heating in an old, cold house. We need to replace it with something cheaper to run but thought biomass cost as much as oil to run, but was really expensive to install?

EmmaGrundyForPM Sun 19-Nov-17 21:09:49

We live in a 4 bedroomed detached house in Cambridgeshire with good insularion. We fill our 1000 litre tank twice per year. It's not too expensive at the moment.

In our previous house we had a "pay monthly" deal with a local supplier so we paid a fixed amount every month and they topped us up whenever they were delivering in our village.

In our current house we use a broker to fid the best deal each time which makes it cheaper but you do have to pay in one go when you get the delivery.

Just make sure you don't run out.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: