Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Sold Jumperoo - broken?

(9 Posts)
katiram Sun 12-Nov-17 13:05:04

Hiya, I sold my son's Jumperoo on Facebook Marketplace a couple of weeks ago. He hasn't bounced in it for a while as he's too big but it's been in his room and he'd always play with the animals and the sounds would go off. I bought it second hand myself then decided to sell it on the save space. Now the girl who bought it from me is saying that the sounds have stopped working and she went to change the batteries and they were all eroded as I'd left them in. My argument was that if the sounds were working when I sold it and have only just stopped then it sounds like just bad timing because at the point of sale it was fine. She's saying the batteries wouldn't have eroded that quickly. I'm pretty sure she wants a refund but I don't really feel like I should have to. I sold the item in good faith. Any advice for dealing with this? Thanks

Alibobbob Sun 12-Nov-17 13:08:06

Did you post it to her or did she collect if so it was sold as seen and in a good working condition when you sold it to her.

katiram Sun 12-Nov-17 13:14:47

She collected it...thanks that's what I thought, I want to know if I'm being reasonable in thinking that!

Alibobbob Sun 12-Nov-17 13:20:53

How long ago did she buy it? If she's had it for a number of weeks with no issue then I feel she's being unreasonable. Batteries corrode if it was that important she should have checked the battery compartment at the time. I never check it's only when changing the batteries that you notice if they are corroded.

I am not sure with Amazon Marketplace though are they likely to give her a refund? I know with ebay they would probably refund but the fact that she collected and examined it then paid as she was happy with it should be enough I would have thought.

It is unpleasant to find batteries corroded (maybe she should complain to the manufacturer of the batteries lol). I just flick them out with a screwdriver straight into the bin then a wipe with a baby wipe. No issues.

katiram Sun 12-Nov-17 13:34:13

Thanks it was Facebook marketplace about 2 weeks ago so she just collected and paid in cash. My thinking is the same, it just feels like she's implying its my fault when I had no reason to look at battery compartment as it was working fine!

MyKingdomForBrie Sun 12-Nov-17 13:35:54

Yeah I would just say that as you hadn’t had to change the batteries you didn’t look and didn’t know that would happen (wouldn’t occur to me either) she should be able to clean it up and it work fine. You could always refund her if she brings it back then see if you can fix it up, just to be nice.

Floralnomad Sun 12-Nov-17 13:36:28

Did you demonstrate it working before she took it , if so then just tell her it’s sold as seen . Infact I’d tell her that anyway .

Ilovelampandchair Sun 12-Nov-17 13:41:08

You've done her a favour. The music is horrific.

katiram Sun 12-Nov-17 14:24:24

Haha love it !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now