Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

LCS debt collectors

(4 Posts)
Zuzia666 Wed 08-Nov-17 21:23:42

I received a letter from LCS debt collectors about a bill from a place I moved out of 5 years ago. It's supposed to be a bill that was sent there a month after I moved out(I logged on to a website of utility providers - southern Electric - and that's all it says). I know I closed my account before I moved out, because it was a massive pain in the ass, and they never tried contacting me any other way, despite having my email that I still use to this day. I instantly requested a call from the LCS via text message - it's what they tell you to do on letter - but they never called. Later, I looked them up, and the general advice was to contact them via email, and that's what I did. I asked to get all of my details they hold and they tell me that I need to provide them with my full name, address, relation to the address, contact number, DOB, and email due to data protection. Is that something I should do? I don't really want to give all that to them but probably, they already have it. WHat do I do?

19lottie82 Wed 08-Nov-17 23:24:57

Don’t give them any details. If you don’t theres nothing they can do. They’re just “phishing” for info to try and get you to admit the debt is yours based on the limited information they have already.
Even IF (and that’s a big if) you do / did owe the money it will be statued barred soon anyway.

19lottie82 Wed 08-Nov-17 23:26:34

Honestly, they’re seriously clutching at straws here. They’ll have bought this debt for pennies after all this time and now they’re just trying to get someone to admit it’s theirs and pay for it, even if it isn’t.
Again, ignore it.

SmartyPants0 Wed 08-Nov-17 23:30:18

I had a letter from LCS about a debt. It turned out I was over paid for my tax credits and my award ended so they couldn't take it from my new claim. I paid up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now