Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Credit card

(5 Posts)
sweatylemon Wed 08-Nov-17 20:46:39

A letter from a bank arrived today to Mrs.(insert DH First name & our Surname)
Opened it, saw it was about a credit card & chucked in the bin.
This evening DH asked if any mail had arrived. I said just junk mail.
He asked about letters from credit card companies. I said something had arrived but I had binned it.
DH then found letter in bin with a PIN number (I hadn’t actually looked that closely at it when I threw it out)
He has taken out a 10K interest free card under my name. Mrs (insert his name & Surname)
He says I am being stupid and it’s the banks error. I don’t think I believe him.
I suggested I called them in the morning, and he said “don’t be stupid” and has hidden the letter
Can he do that? Use his name, but put Mrs first?
I am just not sure what to think.
Suggestions greatly appreciated

Justbookedasummmerholiday Wed 08-Nov-17 20:50:28

Reclaim the letter right now and go to the bank tomorrow. It's called FRAUD!!

Justbookedasummmerholiday Wed 08-Nov-17 21:27:10

If he won't give you the letter go into the relevant bank anyway and give your details and ID.

WitchesHatRim Wed 08-Nov-17 21:29:00

Are there any credit cards that would give you 10k straight away, these days?

It could be a bank error, but I doubt it.

BarbaraofSevillle Thu 09-Nov-17 09:52:02

What has he said about whose name he intended to have the card in? It seems unclear as to whether the card is in his name with a mistake over the title, which the bank may not have noticed anyway (I have accounts in Ms, Miss and Mrs) or is it in your name?

I think you have to give a date of birth on the application, so that would be telling as to who is actually liable for any debt, although I'm not sure that they would issue a card in the name of Mrs Bob Smith that you are liable for if you only ever use the name Mrs Freda Smith, as it would fail identity checks?

The fact that he asked about the letters seems to suggest that he's not planning to run up debt in your name behind your back, but I would be curious as to what is going on.

The high limit isn't a particular surprise if the OP/her DH is a high earner. I've applied for a few cards in the last year or so and got limits of £6-8k on a salary of £40k.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now