Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

How can a company know debit card details I haven't given them?

(9 Posts)
SouthernComforts Mon 06-Nov-17 22:40:46

Hi.

I got my home insurance renewal quote in the post today. It states unless I cancel, payment will be automatically taken from card no. XXXXXXXX 1234. Last November 16 I paid the full year as a one off debit card payment, so I'm not sure I actually authorised them to take any further payments AND I cancelled all my cards in July 17, so new card number issued, and they have my current card details.

Is that normal? I had to amend my details on Netflix which uses long card number, I assumed nobody had the long card number unless I gave it?

WhatsGoingOnEh Mon 06-Nov-17 22:42:45

Did you fill out a direct debit mandate thing, with your bank account details on it? If so, maybe they can get your current card details from your bank..?

Really not sure. I’d call your bank and ask them.

Scary what companies can know about us these days.

pastabest Mon 06-Nov-17 22:42:57

It's a thing.

Look up Visa Account Updater.

SouthernComforts Mon 06-Nov-17 22:46:03

I'm not sure I did Whats , but I'll go through the process again online to check.

pingu73 Mon 06-Nov-17 22:47:51

It’s called a continuing payment authority that you need to cancel with your bank . They have autorenewed the policy unless you cancel

pastabest Mon 06-Nov-17 22:48:55

I promise it will be VAU.

Caught me out with an automatic renewal for a subscription service as I assumed they wouldn't be able to take the money as I had changed cards.

If they are signed up to VAU they can and will.

SouthernComforts Mon 06-Nov-17 22:50:13

Thanks pasta, I knew MN would have the answer!

SouthernComforts Mon 06-Nov-17 22:53:22

VAU 'reduces the opportunity for service cancellation' blardy hell. There must be a system in place to prevent fraudulent subscriptions or services continuing after cancelling a card then? The reason I cancelled was a fraudulent paypal payment, but VAU could update my new card details and the fraudster could continue to buy?

pastabest Mon 06-Nov-17 23:00:18

I think it costs money for the retailers to be signed up to it so it's probably only worth it for big companies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now