Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Big shock today (legal costs)

(11 Posts)
Dieu Mon 06-Nov-17 20:02:45

Now that my legal separation is sorted, I today received my solicitor's bill (I am in Scotland). This pertained to mainly getting the financials sorted prior to divorce, as well as access arrangements for the children, etc.

I had thought that the total bill came to about two and a half grand (I was originally told it would cost round about that figure), but it has actually totalled double that. I am in a state of absolute shock. I feel so incredibly stupid for not having requested a running tally of the costs as we went along.

My lawyer is aware of my financial situation, that I am a single parent obviously, who is currently out of work, and that I have no means of paying back this huge sum of money.

The letter that accompanied the invoice basically stated that, yes, the total was substantially higher than originally anticipated, but that this was because of my husband's 'rather entrenched position in connection with certain matters'.

Irony is that she couldn't have asked for an easier and more amenable client than me, as it's not in my nature to be difficult, and I simply wanted an end to everything.

Yes, I have been incredibly naive and stupid, but it would seem unethical to whack me with a huge bill at the end, with no prior warning.

Any advice on how to deal with this? I have no issue with paying it up, but it will take me years, presumably with interest added on.

I could cry.

Thanks.

timeforabrewnow Mon 06-Nov-17 21:46:55

bumping for you

flowers

Sorry no advice but that sounds like a really unpleasant shock.

Karak Tue 07-Nov-17 04:43:04

Negotiate. I can't answer for Scotland but in England lawyers are required to keep you up to date and provide accurate costs updates. I'd take a starting point of saying you're only willing to pay up to the initial estimate as they didn't keep you up to date. Then see what they come back with.

HollyBollyBooBoo Tue 07-Nov-17 05:35:25

What a nightmare. I guess you could try negotiating, is it all itemised? Are all the items legit.

I hate the fact that lawyers make so much money out of these situations.

Poosnu Tue 07-Nov-17 05:47:44

What was in your initial engagement letter with your solicitor re costs estimate and invoicing?

Has all the work now been finished (I.e. Is there any reason to keep the solicitor onside)?

Subject to checking the above, yes to what Karak said. You are happy to pay the initial estimate (as per engagement letter) but no more as you did not give approval for extra costs to be incurred.

Solicitors should send regular invoices and let you know when initial estimates have been exceeded. This gives you the chance to say if you don't want them to do further work. The solicitor would be on shaky ground with the regulator if they failed to do this and so would struggle to enforce a bill higher than the initial estimate, and they will be aware of this.

Poosnu Tue 07-Nov-17 05:49:44

Scotland is the same as England in this respect.

Please do not pay this - negotiate.

Ohwhatbliss Tue 07-Nov-17 05:56:05

You should have been provided with ongoing and updated estimates of costs and been given notice once the original estimate was exceeded. I would go back to the firm and advise that this did not happen and that you are unable to pay the total cost. They should at the least offer you the option of paying in instalments.

Poosnu Tue 07-Nov-17 10:03:21

Remember VAT will be added to the fees increasing the total. It is likely that the initial estimate was framed as £x plus VAT and disbursements.

Dieu Tue 07-Nov-17 19:09:49

Thank you so much for your kind, helpful and above all, non-judgey replies. I will try negotiating, as you have suggested. Thanks again.

Maverick66 Tue 07-Nov-17 19:13:10

I would definetely negotiate and I would push for a payment plan.
That is a lot of money to hand out in one go.

Racmactac Tue 07-Nov-17 19:24:06

Not sure about Scotland but in England if they have exceeded the costs estimate and not updated you then they will struggle to charge you any additional amount.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: