Talk

Advanced search

Emergency electric almost gone

(55 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

Mummypigoinkk Sat 04-Nov-17 22:49:36

So my electric has been on the emergency and I thought it would last until Monday, I’m on 16 pence and I still need to get through tonight and Sunday, I’m not begging I’m just asking if anyone knows if it will cut off as soon as the balance reaches 0 or is it true that some meters don’t cut off on an evening or Sunday? Can someone please help me out ASAP, thank you smile

Migraleve Sat 04-Nov-17 22:53:37

Check your suppliers website. Usually they have a FAQ section which will have this information.

RunningOutOfCharge Sat 04-Nov-17 22:56:12

Most likely it will go

Why are you wasting device charge on MN?

19lottie82 Sat 04-Nov-17 23:01:49

It will cut off straight away, yes. Unfortunately the emergency is just that.
Do you have anyone that can lend you some money to top up?

makingmiracles Sat 04-Nov-17 23:06:02

Yes it will just cut out.

Can you try and access a wonga loan? obviously I don’t advocate borrowing more than you can afford to repay but if you need a short term solution just to put money on the electric key that could be it.

I’ve used them in emergencies over the yrs for the odd 20-30 quid short term and when you only borrow a small amount over a short time period the interest is fairly small, it was a lifeline for me at times when I had no family around to ask for help.

Mummypigoinkk Sat 04-Nov-17 23:06:26

I have a power block to charge my phone

GreenTulips Sat 04-Nov-17 23:07:56

Can you sell anything?

Mummypigoinkk Sat 04-Nov-17 23:09:21

I’m out of options, I can’t borrow from friends or family or I would have already😬

Whambarsarentasfizzyastheywere Sat 04-Nov-17 23:10:14

It will likely cut out about 7 or 8 in the morning. Mine never gows at night.

Maybe try and sell something quickly on FB, have your dc got old clothes or toys that are in good condition? Any kitchen things you don't use like a coffee machine or slow cooker?

Mummypigoinkk Sat 04-Nov-17 23:10:18

I’m currently trying to sell items on gumtree as we speak but haven’t had much luck on there

ineedamoreadultieradult Sat 04-Nov-17 23:10:49

Ring your supplier the prepayment lines are normally open 24hrs. They can add extra emergency credit to your meter some can even give out free top ups that don't need paying back in certain circumstances.

TotallyWingingIt Sat 04-Nov-17 23:11:17

It won’t cut off overnight. Don’t know from when at night but I do know it’s normally until 9am. Ring the electric supplier and explain your situation. They usually help as a one off.
Hope you get sorted

Migraleve Sat 04-Nov-17 23:14:18

Yeah don’t get a wonga loan. The last thing someone struggling needs is extortionate loan repayments.

Keep trying to sell things OP

MyBrilliantDisguise Sat 04-Nov-17 23:16:44

Which company? I'll look it up for you if you like.

strongswans Sat 04-Nov-17 23:23:02

I’m with spark, myne won’t cut off overnight or over the weekend. I guess it’s each company’s decision. What provider are you with?

icclemunchy Sat 04-Nov-17 23:33:33

We're with British gas. It doesn't go off overnight or weekends. I usually find if I've forgotten about it it goes about 11am Monday. No idea why so late!

LovingLola Sat 04-Nov-17 23:36:38

Interesting first post on MN....

FavouriteParksAreCarParks Sun 05-Nov-17 00:08:43

PM me if you’d like me to transfer some money over. Pay me back if / when you can. I can tell you’re in dire straits.

DarthMaiden Sun 05-Nov-17 00:23:56

And bingo....

PurpleDaisies Sun 05-Nov-17 00:25:15

favourite that’s a dreadful idea.

Op I hope you get things sorted.

Hiphopopotamus Sun 05-Nov-17 00:28:16

I'm with Scottish Power. They don't cut out in the evenings or on a Sunday so even if you run out of the emergency it won't cut out until Monday morning.

favourite be careful.

FavouriteParksAreCarParks Sun 05-Nov-17 00:29:40

Sorry I was being facetious. I shouldn’t have done it. I blame the Bacardi.

These threads just drive me mad.

If you were worried about your electricity running out you’d google rather than post on MN.

Smeaton Sun 05-Nov-17 00:30:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BubbaLips Sun 05-Nov-17 00:30:45

Mummypigoinkk Sun 05-Nov-17 00:31:27

icclemunchy
Yes I’m also with British Gas, hopefully it will stay on until Monday as it’s ran out now and I still have electric, thank you for your help smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: