Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Moving from IS to WTC

(2 Posts)
Leasa21 Thu 02-Nov-17 21:15:02

I have just been offered a job working 21 hours. I'm a single mum to a 2 year old boy who is in nursery 15 hours a week. I'm just waiting for dbs checks to go through and then I will get my start date for the job. At the moment I am claiming IS and know once I have my start date etc I will have to move to working tax credit, could anyone explain to me what I need to do? I know I need to ring them once I have my start date but will I need to send any paper work off etc and what do I do in regards to informing housing benefit as I assume that's separate? Just looking for some advice off someone who's done this before and can explain what happens

Babyroobs Thu 02-Nov-17 22:07:12

You will need to apply for wtc but I think if you already have a claim for child tax credits then you may be able to just ring and inform them you are now working. You will then need to inform housing benefit of your wages and increased tax credits and they will reduce your housing benefit accordingly.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: