Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Eligible for benefits?

(17 Posts)
WishIwasinStarsHollow Wed 01-Nov-17 15:29:35

I'm going back to work shortly following maternity leave and going back part time coupled with the cost of nursery for DD means that I'll be left with around 500/600 per month rather than the 1300/1400 I was earning full time before I went on mat leave. Fully prepared to accept that this is just the price to pay for having a child and we'll be broke for the next 2 years (thinking when can get free childcare hours/up my hours at work) but wondered if we would be entitled to any benefits? Anyway I filled in all our details on Turn2Us benefit checker and it came back saying we'd be entitled to working tax credits and child tax credits (planning to claim childcare vouchers through works so guessing that would then negate this)??? We already get child benefit. I was really surprised and think I must have gone somewhere wrong on the form? Can anyone with a similar situation shed any light? For context, my husband earns around 22000. Thank you smile

Babyroobs Wed 01-Nov-17 16:21:34

I think something has gone wrong ! The cut off for working tax credits is 18k so you are above that. I think the cut off for help with childcare with one child is around 40k joint household earnings so you would get some help with that depending on your joint earnings and cost of childcare. So possibly some child tax credits but not working tax credits.

Babyroobs Wed 01-Nov-17 16:22:33

Sorry just seen that you will be claiming childcare vouchers through work - depending on how much childcare you pay after using the vouchers, you may still get a little help.

WishIwasinStarsHollow Wed 01-Nov-17 20:13:40

Thank you smile would it be best to go to citizens advice to check, does anyone have experience with this?

MyDcAreMarvel Wed 01-Nov-17 20:15:37

Wtc childcare is better than vouchers.

WishIwasinStarsHollow Wed 01-Nov-17 20:28:17

Is it? How come?

SingaSong12 Wed 01-Nov-17 20:49:38

I volunteer at CAB - your local bureau may be able to help. Let them know that you have tried using a calculator and are still confused (at our office we would suggest this if the person uses the internet). The other thing to check is whether you are in a universal credit full/live service area and would have to apply for that rather than tax credits.

This is a list of things they suggest you take - some CAB offices will make appointments and others do everything on the day if possible.

MyDcAreMarvel Wed 01-Nov-17 21:00:05

Tax credits savings are up to 70p in every pound. Childcare vouchers is approx 20p in every pound.

Babyroobs Wed 01-Nov-17 21:45:32

Up to is the key word there. Only people on the lowest incomes will get 70% paid, so lone parents working 16 hours a week on minimum wage. Childcare vouchers can work well especially if both your employers are in the scheme.

SheRaaarghPrincessOfPower Wed 01-Nov-17 21:52:16

If turn2us thinks you're eligible for benefits, then it's most likely correct. Try EntitledTo and calculate it on there as well.
The cut off varies I believe, and if you're on a low income then you are eligible to claim childcare.

If you Are eligible for WTC, then you cannot claim these alongside vouchers. Tax credits are much better, as vouchers only cancel out some of the tax on the childcare, whereas TC actually cover a higher percentage.

Do the various calculators online with actual figures of earnings and childcare, you may well be entitled.

MyDcAreMarvel Wed 01-Nov-17 21:59:23

Babyroobs no , people earning £24k can still receive 70%.

MyDcAreMarvel Wed 01-Nov-17 22:02:50

You can claim vouchers and tax credits. If you childcare costs for two dc are above £300, you can use vouchers for the extra.

SheRaaarghPrincessOfPower Wed 01-Nov-17 22:05:04

Ah I didn't know that, thank you.

Everything I've read said you can't claim them both at the same time

MyDcAreMarvel Wed 01-Nov-17 22:07:53

Yes but you have to pay the difference between the amount tax credits pay you and £300.
E.g. Costs £400 a week, tax credits pay £210, you pay have to pay £90 , childcare vouchers pay £100.

SheRaaarghPrincessOfPower Wed 01-Nov-17 22:13:23

It's almost as if it's deliberately complicated to dissuade people from claiming.

ForeverBubblegum Wed 01-Nov-17 22:29:38

Run the turn to us calculation twice, with and without the childcare costs, the difference between the two will be the childcare component of WTC. If this is more than 20% of your childcare bill then you will be better off using tax credits instead of the childcare voucher scheme.

I think you can still get some tax credits for child care with a higher-ish income (around £40K), so wouldn’t seem imposable with the numbers you’ve posted. How many hours are you working? Both parents need to be doing 16 hours to qualify.

WishIwasinStarsHollow Thu 02-Nov-17 07:41:03

Thank you everyone! I will check on EntitledTo and see what that throws up. It is very confusing!! ForeverBubblegum I will be working 30 hrs per week and DH works full time, his employer doesn't offer childcare vouchers...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: