Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Can't get out of car purchase

(12 Posts)
corriegirlgonemad Tue 31-Oct-17 20:02:06

So I went to look at a car last week as mine is making horrible noises

Salesman sold me a 14plate Renault

Deal seemed good so I signed

He said I had a 2 wk right to withdraw

Anyway I've decided against it
But it seems I still have to buy the car

They've made a huge fuss about me cancelling the finance which they have done but they have said I still have to buy the car

Managers calling me back tomorrow but it's been 2 days and all he is saying is that I owe them £9k
( car is £6k but works out £9k in total )

Totally my fault for signing something without thinking about it
Got carried away with the monthly payment without thinking I'm spending a lot more on Apr

I'm a single mum, now stressed and worried I can't get out of it

Help

AgentProvocateur Tue 31-Oct-17 20:07:50

Check whether you have right to withdraw if it’s their premises rather than your home. I think the regs are different, unfortunately. If they’ve cancelled the finance, you won’t have to pay £9k. You could get a bank loan for 6k and it would cost you less. But if you don’t want the car at all, I think you’ll have to appeal to their better nature and hope they don’t hold you to it.

Hauntedlobster Tue 31-Oct-17 20:09:03

What does your paperwork say?

corriegirlgonemad Tue 31-Oct-17 20:11:02

They've told the finance company I don't want the finance which I'm within my rights to do, that's the 2 wk right to withdrawal
But I now owe Renault not the finance company. So I still have to buy it
I don't want it now so I don't want to pay. It's £7k not 6 my mistake.
I guess I didn't realise I could just change my mind, expensive mistake x

Ginmakesitallok Tue 31-Oct-17 20:11:19

I think it's the finance which has a cooling off period - not the car sale itself. So you can cancel the finance - but you need to find another way to pay for the car.

corriegirlgonemad Tue 31-Oct-17 20:11:55

Paperwork says I can cancel the finance but I can't change my mind on the car so I'm stuffed then aren't I

Cars not even in their possession
It's due in next week

Can't believe I've been so stupid x

abbsisspartacus Tue 31-Oct-17 20:12:31

Did you take the car?

Whinesalot Tue 31-Oct-17 20:13:56

I also think the cooling off period only applies to things bought in your own home. Wrong of the salesman to say that if it isn't true. Complain to regulating people if you don't get your money back, if there are any?

TheBeastInMsRooneysRoom Tue 31-Oct-17 20:14:59

I know legally you might 'have' to, but we had a similar situation with Ford and just refused delivery. It was brand new and they kept insisting it was registered to us already, but they took so long to deliver that we had to buy a different one. I can only assume they manage to sell it to someone else, because I can't see how else we got away with it. But even if you know that ultimately, it's on you, it might be worth holding out a little longer?

corriegirlgonemad Tue 31-Oct-17 20:15:12

No it was supposed to come in Wednesday, it needed some work and collection was Monday
They called me Friday to say it's not coming in until Tuesday now and won't be ready til the end of the week so it gave me the weekend to have my doubts. Called up on Sunday and they told me I can't not buy the car x

Rosa Tue 31-Oct-17 20:17:31

I would call Citizens advice to be honest. Especially as it is now late - surely they have not kept up their side of the bargain .

corriegirlgonemad Tue 31-Oct-17 20:18:27

Yeah that's what I've said to them
Because it is late, it's made me change my mind!
But they don't seem to care to be honest
I've paid £430 deposit which will be gone now too x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now