Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Free Debt advice

(14 Posts)
zoomer456 Mon 30-Oct-17 18:17:05

Hi is there actually a free service where you can discuss your finances? It’s a catch 22 as I can’t actually afford one but I can’t go on like this any longer. I’ve spoken to step change and they have said we don’t have enough coming in but I knew that already. Thanks x

LIZS Mon 30-Oct-17 18:20:32

Money Advice service? Cab?

zoomer456 Mon 30-Oct-17 18:21:54

Hi I’ve spoken to CAB. I’ll go onto the money worries website and see if I recognise it. Is there a one I can see face to face free?

zoomer456 Mon 30-Oct-17 18:22:13

Money advice service sorry

littleone7 Mon 30-Oct-17 18:25:29

Contact Step Change. They are a debt charity who can advise you.

dantdmistedious Mon 30-Oct-17 18:47:58

Step change

AdoraBell Mon 30-Oct-17 20:13:02

If Step Change just said there isn't enough income what kind of advice are you looking for? Is it budgeting advice or are there debts to be dealt with?

zoomer456 Mon 30-Oct-17 20:39:10

Debts. We are working more hours but the debts are incurring interest. husbands debt. Step change advised us to write and ask for interest to be stopped but they all said no.

AdoraBell Mon 30-Oct-17 20:46:26

Okay, are you able to pay the minimum payments, if the debt is on credit cards?

If you can then stick to the same amount each month. That way even though the minimum only just covers the interest added, each month it will reduce the bill a bit more.

Do you have enough to cover rent, utilities and food? And can either of you earn some extra money?

MaflingoBlog Tue 31-Oct-17 13:36:43

Hi,
As well as being a blogger, I work for a debt advice centre in Nottingham. It's one of 150 Community Money Advice debt advice centres across the UK which offer FREE, confidential advice to those struggling with debt or with money worries. To find out if you have any centres near you by visiting the CommunityMoneyAdvice.com website.

I hope you get the help you need.

nc1080 Tue 31-Oct-17 16:26:47

@zoomer456 I’m so sorry you find yourself in this situation. There are few things worse than drowning in debt. I’m there too.

Step Change didn’t help us either as we had no money coming in so couldn’t make a plan or budget for us.

I have an idea but you’ve got to have the balls: on the radio station LBC (97.3) on Sunday nights is the “money hour” with host Clive Bull and Mike Thomas the ‘Debt Wizard’. He normally charges for advice but if you call in to the radio program and speak on the radio (you can remain anonymous if you wish) then he’ll be able to help you out then and there. He helped us after I rang in.

Here are some previous podcasts to give you a better understanding. Maybe in the podcasts he will have already helped/answered your questions smile LBC Money Hour podcasts

zoomer456 Wed 01-Nov-17 08:19:18

Thank you all xx

Samesituation Wed 01-Nov-17 20:16:20

I would have said step change they were very helpful for me. If you haven't enough coming in and can't pay all your creditors did they not talk through next possible action ie, debt relief order, IVA or bankruptcy? Hope you get some advice and help soon.

zoomer456 Fri 03-Nov-17 07:05:07

Thank you. It’s so scary to think / talk about. x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now