Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Universal credits

(9 Posts)
Cakedoesntjudge Mon 30-Oct-17 07:50:03

I’m looking at changing jobs into a full time job in a sector I want to move into. However, the pay is low as I’d have to start from the bottom. I’d qualify under tax credits for help and the calculators say I’d qualify under universal credit too BUT I have some concerns:

1. The job has a salary of 14k, which works out as just over minimum wage. Would I
A) be expected to look for more higher paid work (it is over 35 hours/week)
B) have to attend the weekly Job centre meetings if I took it?

2. Found this online from the gov website. I’m a single parent and concerned about the wording of a ‘maximum’ of 25 hours - this job is over that so would that rule me out of getting any help despite the fact the salary is low enough to qualify?

My area doesn’t switch over until the 15th November so I don’t think there’s anyone I can call for advice yet!

Cakedoesntjudge Mon 30-Oct-17 07:52:59

Forgot to post the screenshot - sorry

PencilsInSpace Mon 30-Oct-17 08:25:43

Yes, their use of the word 'maximum' is really confusing! If you are earning at least 35 x min wage/week you'll be fine. That will put you in the 'no work related requirements' group so you won't be expected to look for higher paid work or attend the jobcentre (after the initial meeting when you first claim).

Have you checked which system would leave you better off?

If you apply for tax credits before UC rolls out in your area you can stay on them until DWP start migrating people (from 2019) and if you are better off under TC you will then get transitional protection which is a guarantee you won't be worse off on UC.

Cakedoesntjudge Mon 30-Oct-17 09:32:32

Thanks pencils that’s a relief then!

I’d be better off under tax credits but I won’t be able to get the change in in time sad

Basically this is all academic and I’m waiting to hear back this week if I’ve actually got the job but the interview went well and they sounded positive so I wanted to check I could afford to take it if they do offer me it. But even if they offer it to me this week, I’d have to give 4 weeks notice at my current job.

So I’m guessing that, even if I do get it this week and call tax credits straight away, because my start date would be after the 15th, it would switch me to UC - it’s all making me feel a bit sick to be honest but this would be such a good opportunity if I do get offered to take it that I think I’m going to take the gamble and just hope it pays off long term confused

PencilsInSpace Mon 30-Oct-17 10:30:55

If you're already getting CTC you might be OK - i.e. your claim for WTC on top of CTC would not trigger a UC claim. There's a PDF here which suggests that's the case but you might want to call HMRC and check.

Cakedoesntjudge Mon 30-Oct-17 11:32:05

You have no idea how grateful I am that you posted that - I’ve finally got through to tax credits and checked and they’ve said you’re right, it’s not a change in circumstance that would trigger me being switched. Such a relief! Thank you - now I just have to keep my fingers crossed 🤞🏻

MyDcAreMarvel Mon 30-Oct-17 20:48:48

Maximum means the most numbers of hours you would be asked to work.
If you earn nmw x 25 in less than 25 hours than you can work less hours.

Cakedoesntjudge Tue 31-Oct-17 00:32:30

MYDC I’d understood it as that as well but I was worried about whether I’d be penalised for working just over 35 hours as it said a maximum of 25. When they supposedly want to encourage people to work more it seems odd to cap it so I assume it’s not capped and it just means that the 25 hours is what you have to prove and then anything over that is fine if that makes sense?

I think it’s worded badly if it is that though. Upon first reading I definitely took it to mean that you would no longer qualify for UC if you worked over 25 hours (my DS is 7 so that’s the bracket I’d be in). The woman I spoke to on the tax credit helpline wasn’t sure about it but said, first of all, I didn’t have to worry about it and, secondly, she agrees with me that it’s unlikely to mean your hours would be capped at 25.

MyDcAreMarvel Tue 31-Oct-17 16:00:45

It's definitely means the maximum we will expect you to earn is nmw x 25 hours.
The amount of hours you earn are irrelevant you could work less than 25 or more.
It is badly worded , I agree.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now