Advanced search

JSA when leaving job

(14 Posts)
cornerstoned Mon 30-Oct-17 07:00:42

would I be able to claim JSA if I leave my job voluntarily?

One of my DC is severely disabled, turning 13 soon and no holiday club round here carers for that age. I desperately need to find something term time but I do not have any time whatsoever to do the job hunting whilst working and caring. I have burn out and depression and need to take one step at a time.

I know you would not usually quality for JSA in this situation but I wondered if there are special rules for those with significant caring responsiblies if there is no childcare available due to SN.

and before anyone suggests CA - that's a lot less than JSA and a stretch too far for me financially (I am a bit in a mess money wise and literally every penny counts and I would be genuinely job seeking).

PencilsInSpace Mon 30-Oct-17 08:34:41

You won't be able to claim JSA unless you're available for work and looking for work, and you'd probably get a sanction for leaving a job voluntarily.

CA is low but can be topped up with Income Support which is the same rate as JSA.

Have you checked to see if you're in a Universal Credit area? You can put your postcode in here to find out.

gooseisland Mon 30-Oct-17 09:06:37

I left my job due to caring duties and I get CA and IS - together it adds up to about £107 a week, so more than JSA on its own. My DS gets HRC on DLA, so we get premiums on tax credits as well, which is £150 a week, so that helps a lot. I could claim immediately after leaving my job, and I don't need to attend the jobcentre or have any jobseeking requirements.

Try the Contact helpline or Carers UK - their benefits information is usually accurate. But you can also use Entitled To online yourself as well.

gamerchick Mon 30-Oct-17 09:09:37

Regardless of what benefit you go on, it won’t be quick and will cause you pain first. You might want to get ahead on your rent by a fair bit before you quit.

MyDcAreMarvel Mon 30-Oct-17 09:10:16

Like pp says in your situation you would claim carers allowance and IS. You Income support would be reduced by about £30 a week . so around £110 a week.

ceecee32 Mon 30-Oct-17 09:13:15

You dont say whether or not you have a partner - if you do and they are in work you would not get any IS to top up a CA claim

cornerstoned Mon 30-Oct-17 09:44:04

I have a partner who works. So no IS - I'd be better off in JSA than carers.

thanks anyways - thought this may be the case that I cannot get JSA sad

MyDcAreMarvel Mon 30-Oct-17 10:09:41

The difference is £13 unless you live in Scotland then they are equal.
Contribution based JSA only lasts six months.

cornerstoned Mon 30-Oct-17 11:11:45

I know that the difference is £13/week. but believe it or not - for some this is a lot of money confused
I would have hoped to find a job quicker than 6 months.But it seems I won't qualify for JSA anyways despite having worked all my adult live and caring for a severely disabled child. Need to go back to the drawing board as to what to do. If only we had access to childcare, I would not be in this mess. being a carer sucks.

PencilsInSpace Mon 30-Oct-17 11:17:49

But as we've all said, you can claim CA and IS confused (unless, as ceecee says, you have a partner)

PencilsInSpace Mon 30-Oct-17 11:18:10

Sorry missed your previous post.

PencilsInSpace Mon 30-Oct-17 11:28:18

Are you getting tax credits? They would go up if your earned income decreased. Are you eligible for HB or council tax reduction? It would be worth doing a full benefit check.

gooseisland Mon 30-Oct-17 11:30:50

If your depression is significant you could apply for ESA which can be contributions based and wouldn't have a sanction for leaving work voluntarily. But it's paid at assessment rate until you get a work capability assessment, which is even less than CA.

Make sure you let tax credits know about you leaving work - if you aren't already claiming you might be able to put in a claim with the drop in income. The thresholds are higher with a disabled child. It's worth going for a full benefit check - you might qualify for housing benefit/council tax support as well, as you can get those with a working partner on a low income, with extra premiums for a disabled child.

You could ask social services for an assessment to get more respite care - but it's unlikely to cover full time working hours and IME the quality/choice isn't great.

MyDcAreMarvel Mon 30-Oct-17 14:54:53

Corner I didn't say £13 was an insignificant sum. No need to pull a face.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: