Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Why am I charged tax on business expenses...

(11 Posts)
Lushmetender Sun 29-Oct-17 09:18:35

Anyone know why? It's not like I want to go on business so why are we taxed on iy?t? I lost £40 due to this and not sure why.

karriecreamer Sun 29-Oct-17 12:23:18

If you'd like to explain what you mean, I'm sure people will help. As it is, I havn't a clue why you think what you have written.

eurochick Sun 29-Oct-17 12:34:38

This sounds wrong. You should be taxed on benefits like health insurance but not for business travel and that sort of thing.

PatriciaHolm Sun 29-Oct-17 15:12:13

** *As it is, I havn't a clue why you think what you have written.*

Oh, the irony.

It’s completely clear what you mean.

You shouldn’t be charged personal tax on essential business expenses such as travel, etc. I had this and a quick phone call to HMRC sorted it out.

Ta1kinPeece Sun 29-Oct-17 15:24:09

So your employer has done a P11d but has not done a s198 claim to cover the essential expenses

- talk to HMRC and get them to sort it
- talk to your employer and get them to get real

scrabbler3 Sun 29-Oct-17 20:20:52

Your enoloyer needs to sort this out with HMRC. If you call HMRC they'll ask you to talk to your payroll dept to get the submissions amended - they won't take your word for it.

Lushmetender Sun 29-Oct-17 21:59:48

HR had a call with us a few months ago saying travel expenses were taxable. But that they were supplementing it some how. Doing self assessment you need to declare the travel expenses you're claiming but I don't understand why. Will speak to HR rep as deficiencies in my pay vary q considerably. Seems bonkers when you don't enjoy going on biz

cazzyg Mon 30-Oct-17 06:39:07

Travel expenses can be taxable under certain circumstances e.g. If it's a longer term assignment but usually not.

I have to tick a box to say if travel is taxable or not, and the answer is usually not.

BarbaraofSevillle Mon 30-Oct-17 10:21:16

If they are paying above HMRC agreed rates for mileage, or food and drink without receipts, they might be taxable in those circumstances.

Eg if they pay you above 45 p a mile for using your own car, that is probably taxable above 45 p

Eg if they give you £50 a day for food and drink when working away from the office without asking for receipts, that might be judged to be outside normal subsistence rates, so taxable.

Could it be anything like these examples?

Lushmetender Mon 30-Oct-17 20:52:01

I get 10 p a mile as they give me a car allowance. Meals up to £35 a day is payable (all meals) and hotels to £90 a day ( but down south it's hard). I'll need to ask hr.

latebreakfast Mon 30-Oct-17 20:58:52

Can depend on what the travel is. If you're travelling from your home to your normal place of work and the company pays then you'll be taxed on it (even if you take public transport). If you're travelling somewhere on the company's behalf then you shouldn't be.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: