Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Personal independence payment

(31 Posts)
Am95xx Fri 27-Oct-17 16:14:35

Does anyone know if I will get awarded pip even thought I work part time ? I have a 2 year old but was in a phsyciatrc hospital for 2 weeks because I severe depression and tried to end my own life do I fit the criteria for pip x I don’t have any diagnosis x

Babyroobs Fri 27-Oct-17 19:07:36

It depends what descriptors you are trying to score points on. if you write on the form that you can't mix with people or struggle to mix with people then your job involves mixing with people or the public then they will query that when you go to the assessment. Pip is not awarded on a diagnosis but on care needs that you have. They will ask if you can cook a meal ( even a simple one), wash and dress yourself, budget, communicate, mix with people, manage your own medicines, mobilise and do a journey on your own. In theory you can work and get Pip but in reality it can sometimes go against you. Pip is for long term disabilities, one of the criteria of applying is that you are expected to have the disability for at least another nine months. You will need to provide as much medical evidence - drs letters / Psychiatrist reports / details of therapy you have had / medications etc. Good luck and hope things improve for you.

Babyroobs Fri 27-Oct-17 19:20:58

Just to add if you are so depressed that you struggle to motivate yourself to get washed and dressed and eat then you should highlight issues like that on the form and at the assessment as they will score you points. They may or may not ask you about work at the assessment, there is certainly not anything on the form that asks you if you work x

Am95xx Fri 27-Oct-17 19:36:44

I have no problems being mobile I work 16 hours a week and I work alone. Sometimes I can’t be bothered getting out my bed in the morning. My partner died last year and I have a 2 year old. I had to be admitted to a psychiatric hospital 2 weeks ago and my moods been up and down since. I’m just worried that because I can move around ok I won’t get awarded it. X

Babyroobs Fri 27-Oct-17 19:44:23

You might not be awarded the mobility part but there are 2 descriptors in the mobility component - whether you can physically move ok and whether you can do a journey alone. Lots of people suffering depression or anxiety do struggle to go out alone as they suffer panic or anxiety so it is important to describe that if it affects you. Sorry to read what you have gone through x

eve34 Sat 28-Oct-17 16:39:55

They changed the rules early this year. If you can get out even if it causes you distress or makes you anxious you are no longer eligible. Cognitively if you struggle to navigate a route for example a level of dementia then you will qualify on the planning a route part.

Ct17218 Sat 28-Oct-17 17:05:48

My friend received it for serve mental health reasons and also works up to 16hrs a week. You can’t do anymore hours than that. But be careful as there are 2 types of PIP and one of them you still have to pay for prescriptions. Best of luck xxx

eyeswideshit Sat 28-Oct-17 17:08:42

You can work on pip. It's based on your care needs rather than your ability to work or not.

On esa you can work less that 16 hours without affecting the amount you get.

MamaOfTwos Sat 28-Oct-17 17:18:28

It doesn't honestly sound as if you'll meet criteria as you care for a 2yr old alone, which means you must be able to self care for most of the essential functions

ProfessorCat Sat 28-Oct-17 17:24:41

You can work on Pip.

However, you won't get it. If you can move at all, you won't get it without a fight.

I was turned down and I'm bedridden and have a carer for everything. I eventually got it but it took months of fighting.

If you can work, take care of a child etc. Why do you need Pip?

Babyroobs Sat 28-Oct-17 17:38:21

ct17218 - I think you are talking about ESA which is a completely different benefit to PIP. Pip is a non means tested benefit for people with long term disabilities and does not affect prescriptions in any way.

Babyroobs Sat 28-Oct-17 17:45:55

It's not true that you won't get it if you can move, you may not get the mobility component but that is only one part of it. Take a look at the descriptors and see if you think you might score points.

ProfessorCat Sat 28-Oct-17 17:54:40

In every part of the fight I had for mine, we were told that people who could move independently would be turned down for most of the descriptors for both components. Definitely for mobility and as for care, if you are able to feed yourself, wash yourself, dress independently etc without a carer then you don't really have much hope.

Babyroobs Sat 28-Oct-17 18:19:24

Lots of people do successfully claim it with mental illness so it must be possible !

ProfessorCat Sat 28-Oct-17 19:05:55

They used to. More recently they've changed things. Yes, some people are successful with just mental health issues but it's even more of a battle than someone with physical issues.

Am95xx Sat 28-Oct-17 19:14:36

I’ve had to have a lot of help bring up my daughter after her dad died. There is now social work involved who are her main carers because I cannot cope. I am just out of leverndale psychiatric hospital for trying to take my own life. Yes I put a brave face on for work as I have to but i hit rock bottom a few weeks ago

Babyroobs Sat 28-Oct-17 19:20:11

I would be careful about going back to work too soon, please don't put yourself under pressure to do so . If you have reports from psychiatrists and social workers then that will support your application for pip as it shows how much support you need on a day to day basis. Will your work pay you decent sick pay ? if not you could think about claiming ESA once you have taken all the sick pay you are entitled to.

goingbytrain Sat 28-Oct-17 22:27:50

I get PIP for severe MH illness (enhanced rate daily living and standard mobility). It was awarded on first application, no MR or appeal necessary. I've had suicide attempts and inpatient treatment and the letters & reports from consultants, social services and my CPN were strong enough. I think you'll have a strong case for getting it OP as you'll have a lot of evidence from admissions and interventions. If you get turned down first time, be persistent and go through mandatory reconsideration (where the decision is not likely to be changed, but you have to do it anyway) and then appeal (where the majority of refusals are overturned).

There's no rule about work and PIP although personally I've never been able to work while on PIP and nobody I know (through my MH group sessions) work but most of them get PIP and ESA. Some have been awarded recently, since they changed the rules, so it's not just people who got awards years ago. A lot of people who get turned down for MH issues are at the far milder end and not involved with consultants, inpatient units and social services, so their situation is not really comparable to mine or OP's. My physical mobility is fine and I could wash/dress myself, but often I'm unable to due to severe depression.

Am95xx Sun 29-Oct-17 09:40:31

Because I’m working 16 hours I’m getting 44 a week ssp but I also get help with my rent x

Am95xx Sun 29-Oct-17 09:43:43

Also I’ve made attempts on my own life and diagnosed with depression since 13 I’ve taken overdoses in the past and ended up in hospital. I have saw pshycisrrics before but hey have a 4 week waiting list to see one x

PencilsInSpace Sun 29-Oct-17 09:59:31

Rethink do quite a good factsheet on claiming PIP for MH conditions. Good luck, I hope things get better for you soon flowers

Am95xx Sun 29-Oct-17 10:18:16

Thank you all x is there anything online that will determine how many points I get xxx

PencilsInSpace Sun 29-Oct-17 11:37:50

The fact sheet from the page I linked to above has a list of the activities, descriptors and points for each question, as well as things to think about when answering.

Oldsu Mon 30-Oct-17 00:31:30

Babyroobs that's not entirely true either, income based benefits like IB ESA gives an automatic entitlement to free prescriptions because it is assumed that the claimant has been means tested by the DWP in order to qualify, however the NHS has its own means tested exemption called the NHS low income scheme The rules governing who's eligible are broadly the sameas those for ameans-tested benefit. But the assessment alsotakes into account council tax and housing costs, soyou can get help with health costs even if your income is too high for a means-tested benefit.

Am95xx Mon 30-Oct-17 17:56:04

I get a lot of help. I have been left with a house to run a baby under 2 and My partner of 4 years passed away. So I’m left to run a house and take care of a baby with Manaic depressants and many suicide attempts even before my partner died I’ve been left in debt so if I’m entitled to a little extra money I’m taking it !!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: