Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

I got £88 towards a course and my payslip shows its cost me £120 in tax and NI

(5 Posts)
flimflaminurjams Wed 25-Oct-17 12:10:46

Just that really.
In my wage slip there is my monthly salary plus £88 for a course, but my deductions have gone up by £120.

I don't understand how £88 for a course (work pay half the total cost) means my monthly income is down by having paid an extra £120 (£110 PAYE and £10 NI). I'm nowhere near the next tax threshold so I don't understand it, paying more than the increase in my wage slip, which is a one off thing this month.

Any wizards out there explain it, I'd be grateful.

Thanks

Ta1kinPeece Wed 25-Oct-17 20:19:16

ask your HR department to check it

youarenotkiddingme Wed 25-Oct-17 20:23:02

It's possible they've calculated your contributions based on the expectation that you'll get that monthly? Like an emergency tax code (do they still exist?)

My mums had this lately as she does some days supply teaching on top of her TA work (including months out for chemo). As soon she got paid supply she went over tax limit (based on that wage monthly over the tax year. She then got back some tax next month and the rest at end of year based on yearly earnings.

Viviennemary Wed 25-Oct-17 23:09:27

Your company would have been better just to have paid half your course rather than add it on to your wages. It's not really payment for work and I don't think it should be on a wage slip or count towards any tax or NI due. I agree with asking personnel to explain.

FruitBadger Thu 26-Oct-17 11:11:48

Another vote for asking HR / Payroll to check this. It doesn't sound like it should have been taxable, because it's repaying expenses (same as if you were claiming a train fare or parking). It think they may have put it through on the wrong internal pay code hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now