Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

About to split, when should I apply for benefits?

(13 Posts)
Jessie1980 Tue 24-Oct-17 19:01:30

Our marriage is almost over, we are most likely making it official within the next couple of weeks.when he gets home from working away. We have a mortgage and I'm hoping he will move out until we sell the house.

My question is, when should I apply for benefits, now or wait until we have officially split up? I realise there's a waiting period of around 6 weeks so kinda want to starting ball rolling...

Santawontbelong Tue 24-Oct-17 19:03:04

I went to a solicitor to give them a date I acknowledged my marriage was over for financial purposes. I used that date to out on benefit forms. Date of separation.

PigletWasPoohsFriend Tue 24-Oct-17 19:05:05

Not until date of separation.

Also be aware he doesn't have to move out if he doesn't want to. If he sees a solicitor himself he will be advised not to.

WhoWants2Know Tue 24-Oct-17 19:06:50

I did it as soon as it was agreed between us that we would separate, and from that point we were never really in the house at the same time.

Jessie1980 Tue 24-Oct-17 19:22:03

OK thanks all, will just have to wait it out for now then!

Babyroobs Tue 24-Oct-17 19:39:20

If your income is low enough then you can apply for tax credits from when you split. It takes a few weeks for a claim to be processed. You can also apply for the single persons 25% discount on council tax. if you work you will need to work at least 16 hours to get help with working tax credits and childcare help.
If you are in a Universal credit area then it will be Universal credit you need to apply for. If it's a first claim then it's a 6 week wait for first payment.

bimbobaggins Tue 24-Oct-17 21:11:16

Are you working.? Being separated doesn’t make you automatically entitled to benefits.

Jessie1980 Wed 25-Oct-17 07:27:24

Dc are 3 and 5, I started up self employed nearly 2 years ago but only part time obviously as I look after the kids. I must be entitled to something as I wouldn't survive on my own!

SpinnerDryer Wed 25-Oct-17 07:33:08

You wouldnt get hardly any help with your house. They may pay the interest on your mortgage for 6 weeks?

If you were renting, you would possibly get half of your rent payed & some council tax support.

You can apply for 25% off your council tax if you are renting or own your own home. (Single persons discount)

DueNov Wed 25-Oct-17 07:42:27

Doesn't work like that unfortunately. I wouldn't survive on my own and wasn't entitled to anything. Weren't interested ad I owned a house pretty much!! I'd probably go citizens advice if I were you and see what you are entitled to

Jessie1980 Wed 25-Oct-17 08:16:33

Oh really? The 'entitled to' calculator online said I would be? Are they not accurate?

Jellybean85 Wed 25-Oct-17 08:49:41

I think if you have equity in the house it counts against you. And they rarely help with mortgage costs, only rent as pp said.
In our area you can get an appt with a benefits advisor to discuss these things, maybe look into a similar service near you??

Babyroobs Wed 25-Oct-17 11:23:05

You can claim tax credits if you own your own home. However they may not help with housing benefit if for example you moved out and still owned half the maritial l home but wanted to rent another place, they might allow a grace period of six months whilst the maritial home is sold and you get sorted out. if you sold the houses and had a lump sum of equity from the houses sale they would take this into consideration for any means tested benefits but savings would not be counted for tax credits unless you receive interest over £300 a year. However for Universal credits you cannot claim them with savings or capital over 16k- different benefit, different rules.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: