Advanced search

Decided to leave work, how to tell HMRC??

(10 Posts)
KH369 Mon 23-Oct-17 12:13:07

After a lot of careful thought and back and forth decisions, I have decided its best for me and my family that I leave my job. Long story short - it has become an unbearable working environment, I was coming home close to tears most days and it was draining my money quicker than I was earning through traveling to and from as my child care arrangements has to suddenly change, meaning I had to start working on different days where there was no other option but to get a taxi.
Anyway, what I'm stuck with is the benefits side of things now, I have a four week notice to work and I know after that it's 30 days to tell benefit people of changes but there's not option online that says 'I quit my job for the sake of my sanity' and at the moment I'm not looking for a new job - I want to stay home with my son, which financially isn't an issue as OH has just taken over his dad's company so money is better.
Do I just cancel everything (i only get child benefit & working and child tax) if so, how? My mum set all this up for me when I had my son so I've no clue where to start & she's not well at this time so can't ask her to do it for me. The gov website is so confusing I don't know which options I should be choosing or buttons I should be pressing!

Bobbins43 Mon 23-Oct-17 12:14:38

You probably only need to ring the tax credits people and let them know you will no longer be earning any money from that job. Your P45 will let the tax office know. And if you’re not claiming anything, you don’t need to tell anyone else.


Nandoshoes Mon 23-Oct-17 12:14:39

Yes cancel everything if your in a position not to work and stay at home you don't need to claim.

Enjoy your new found leisure time. smile

user1487194234 Mon 23-Oct-17 13:21:36

Depending on your husband's income you may still be entitled to child benefit

KH369 Mon 23-Oct-17 14:39:47

Thanks for the advice. smile Best thing to do it just ring them then and explain properly - think I should still get some sort of child benefit as pretty much anyone with children is entitled but I'm not fussed either way.
And Nadoshoes I'll do my best! No doubt OH will have me sending emails and invoices for him more often though haha

Babyroobs Mon 23-Oct-17 15:49:54

Ring tax credits and explain the situation and try to estimate what your household income will be this tax year. You will still get child benefit if your husband earns less than £50k.

SSunset7832 Mon 23-Oct-17 21:10:10

I believe that you still need to claim child benefit so that you get your 'stamp' for taking time out to look after children. I believe this contributes to your state pension in your future, so it's important. I think if your DH earns more than 50k there is a process to inform HMRC

DancingLedge Mon 23-Oct-17 21:23:02

Definitely keep claiming child benefit. You get years credited towards your pension ,if you're SAHM, but only if you're claiming CB.
Even if you don't get to keep ,the CB, because one parent earns too much, always claim it.

scrabbler3 Mon 23-Oct-17 21:58:49

You can do it here

scrabbler3 Mon 23-Oct-17 22:01:15

And if you've paid tax you'll be entitled to a refund. Claim it here

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: