Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Are online PPI checkers any good?

(15 Posts)
Gladrag Sat 21-Oct-17 16:52:22

I have had a few loans and credit cards over the years and I'm fairly sure I had PPI on some. However I can't remember which companies. I was thinking of using one of the online PPI checkers to see which companies I had PPI with and then pursue a claim myself. But I'm worried that once they have my personal details they are never going to leave me alone. Has anyone got any experience of using one of these companies and who would you recommend?

Smeaton Sat 21-Oct-17 16:54:48

You'll get hounded till you're death bed.. And then your children will get hounded.. And your children's children... And your children's children's children... Etc.

Better to find a PPI template letter, send it tomeach bank you had a loan etc with. Coast of a few stamps and it'll Gert the ball rolling with no hounding.

lionsleepstonight Sat 21-Oct-17 23:22:29

Honestly do it yourself, it's so easy.
Get the template letter from Martin Lewis website and send it off to all the companies you've had a loan, mortgage or credit card with. Assume you've had it on them all. Part of the PPI issue was in some cases it was added without telling customers.
I didn't think I'd ever had it, and sent a speculative letter to my bank and they confirmed I had! I got 3k back and husband 5k.
Do it!

OhOfCourse Sat 21-Oct-17 23:24:06

Go onto resolver.co.uk I just got £1650 back! Although if you had an egg loan or cc you have to go direct

AdoraBell Sun 22-Oct-17 00:14:26

We keep getting phone calls, and we’ve never approached any of the companies who do this. Definitely use the template off the MSE website. I’m going to do that, now that I know he has one.

somewhereovertherain Mon 23-Oct-17 08:56:57

Would also agree with resolver.co.uk

Notreallyhappy Mon 23-Oct-17 09:59:09

I'm using investor compensation.
I tried with mse template and bank said they had no record of loans etc.I've had £2000 back so far taking off what I paid the company. Straight into my account.
When a retrieval question is issued to the bank they have to disclose any loan, card etc they've had with you. If you've got a little evidence it's helpful..account number etc.
For store cards you don't need anything.

Longdistance Mon 23-Oct-17 10:04:39

Do it yourself.

I did, and got all my money back without having to give any to these agencies.

It’s really easy to compose a letter stating you had been mis-sold PPI, what your address and name was at the time.

I got about £2k back in total, and didn’t have to pay an outside agency to deal with it.

AdoraBell Mon 23-Oct-17 18:23:02

Does anyone have a link to the template on MSE please? I've searched on the website and cannot find it, not sure if I just being a numpty?

gluteustothemaximus Mon 23-Oct-17 18:25:48

Smeaton is right!!

Resolver is the way to do it, via money saving expert. Good luck!

gluteustothemaximus Mon 23-Oct-17 18:27:32

www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/ppi-loan-insurance#resolver

AdoraBell Mon 23-Oct-17 18:38:31

Thank you. I was a tad confused by the Resolver thingy as it says something about only commission. Will try that link.

Looking at it again, it was the Plevin only cases that confused me.

HeyMacWey Mon 23-Oct-17 18:41:21

Each bank/building society/loan company has a ppi enquiry form on their website so you can go direct and they'll check their records.

SpinnerDryer Tue 24-Oct-17 08:58:47

How many years can we go back?

SwedishEdith Tue 24-Oct-17 14:39:00

I had so many credit cards and store cards, I've no idea which banks many were with. Or if they had PPI. I, instinctively, feel I'd have said no to any add-ons but who knows? Has anyone used the Resolver tool for all banks in a speculative capacity?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now