Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Maternity pay

(5 Posts)
Afternooncatnap Fri 20-Oct-17 22:36:12

I'm due back work soon after 12 months maternity leave.

I want to have baby no.2 sap but want to make sure I'm eligible for smp.

From what I've read I have to be in continuous employment for 26 weeks before the 15th week before the baby is due.

So am I right in thinking if I returned to work as long as baby was due no earlier than 41 weeks after I returned I'll still get smp.

MyYoniFromHull Fri 20-Oct-17 22:37:23

You are still employed while on maternity leave. But you may want to make sure you maximise your earnings for the 'qualifying weeks'

IrregularCommentary Fri 20-Oct-17 22:56:38

If you only get smp then you're fine regardless; you're employed during mat leave so it counts.

If you get any enhanced maternity pay then there might be a qualifying period of work to consider to benefit from the enhanced part.

Afternooncatnap Sat 21-Oct-17 19:57:18

OK that sounds good. But I am returning part time so will have to sign a new contract.
Will that mean the time starts over or because it's the same employer it doesn't matter?

prettyprettyprettyprettyghoul Sat 21-Oct-17 19:59:20

Same employer so the service counts. Your new contract should mention this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now