Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Balance Transfers

(3 Posts)
EdwinaLIzzard Fri 20-Oct-17 17:41:57

I don't have any credit card debt but have just had a good and new 0% balance transfer offer through for one of my credit cards that I never use.

I am actually planning some fairly big purchases over the next six months or so, totaling just under £5,000.

Could make a balance transfer of £5000 to my John Lewis Partnership card, effectively making it £5000 in credit and then use that card to make my purchases? At the same time I will pay off the balance transfer card at a regular amount each month, paying it back in full before the interest free period ends in 3 years time?

It sounds too good to be true which is making me think perhaps its either not possible or illegal????

FluttershysCutieMark Fri 20-Oct-17 18:09:22

I've found in the past that they don't allow balance transfers to store cards. I tried with argos and it wasn't possible. Maybe JL is different but I wouldn't bank on it.

Ginorchoc Fri 20-Oct-17 18:12:32

A credit card I have offers 0% balance transfer to bank accounts in 3 year deal. Ive had it years though so not sure if it's a targeted offer. Not used it for a long time and it's on zero if that makes a difference. Does yours offer that option?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now