Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

help with dwp please

(8 Posts)
LilQueenie Fri 20-Oct-17 15:34:09

first of all I will say I don't think all is as it seems. Here's the question. Can the dwp give out a cheque for £2000 to an elderly couple for whatever they want/need? Apparently this is something anyone on benefits can do without any need to pay it back. The only thing I can see is that its beraevment grant but makes no sense as no one has died.

Its not that I want a quick couple thousand either, I just find it totally absurd. However it is being told to me to have happened.

starfishmummy Fri 20-Oct-17 16:01:29

Maybe it's an arrears payment of a benefit they have claimed? Some benefits take a while to assess so the first payment can be substantial. (Something like.attendance allowance??)

LilQueenie Fri 20-Oct-17 16:11:07

I'm not sure. thy are in their 60s/80s. It was said to be like a grant if you need stuff like washing machine type stuff. I did see one that said you can claim a few hundred dependant on savings up to £2000 if elderly couple. The only other thing is they have committed fraud hmm

butterfly56 Fri 20-Oct-17 17:22:47

The DWP will pay many benefits in arrears as it can take months to sort out peoples' claims.
Why don't you go and ask the couple direct why and how they got the money? [sceptical]

weeniedog Fri 20-Oct-17 20:19:57

Are you sure it was from DWP rather than the council? I got a grant from my council discretionary crisis support scheme of £1800 to pay towards household appliances and furniture. In the old days it would have been paid by DWP (called the community care grant) but the responsibility was transferred to local councils. I had to tell them what I needed to spend it on but they paid the money into my account and haven't asked for receipts for my spending. It doesn't have to be repaid. The amount awarded depends on the situation/council so it's not £1800 for everyone, I'm sure it could be £2k for other situations.

unlimiteddilutingjuice Fri 20-Oct-17 20:27:03

No. I don't think anything like that exists.
If they have been are on a means tested benefit for over 6 months the DWP will provide a budgeting loan for any purpose. But not for that kind of amount and they would have to pay it back.
Community Care grants and Crisis grants are now administrated by local authorities, tend to be for small amounts and you have to show a quite pressing need for it.
I think they would be better off approaching a bank or credit union tbh.

unlimiteddilutingjuice Fri 20-Oct-17 20:29:00

Ah, I see its for essential household goods. Community Care grant from the council may be the way to go.

LilQueenie Sat 21-Oct-17 00:34:51

Not sure its the council to be honest as its also a bought house and they actually don't need anything. I can't really ask as they don't like to disclose much. It was their family member who told me and they don't like me asking them direct either as they do like to keep to themselves.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: