Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Universal Credit - NI Credits/Contributions

(1 Post)
Godstopper Fri 20-Oct-17 13:24:42

Hi All,

I am trapped in some awful Kafka-esque form filling nightmare. Situation is this:

- Attempted to claim income-related ESA (not eligible for contributions-based) to ensure continuation of entitlement to state pension (I thought I'd get a credits only award as meet the criteria). I knew I wouldn't receive an actual income owing to my partner's income.

- Letter today to say the claim has been withdrawn as I live in a full-service UC area (except the DWP page told me to apply for ESA as did someone on the phone when we explained the situation, arrrghh) and I need to apply for that.

- But I don't seem to be eligible for UC because of my partner.

So, does this mean I've now vanished down a black hole as far as NI contributions are concerned? Or is it like ESA where you can have a credits only award? It's something of a concern: I am attempting to do things right and seem to be running into problems before I've gotten anywhere.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now