Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Apparently, I'm registered for tax in Ireland??

(20 Posts)
Evilstepmum01 Wed 18-Oct-17 23:09:11

Hello, can anyone help please?
Recieved a letter this morn from my bank, stating that legislation has changed and they understand I am registered for tax in Ireland.
So, I have to fill in loads of forms and send them proof I am resident in the UK for tax reasons. I've never lived abroad, or even been to Ireland.
Thought it a scam, so called bank. Nope, if I don't fill out the form, they will report me to the relevant tax authorities.
Can anyone please explain this to me? Also, my account is a joint account with my DH-always has been. He's not been asked to prove his tax status.
Are the bank taking the piss? The operator demanded I send proof. I suggested my bank statement......

thanks!

Longdistance Wed 18-Oct-17 23:13:00

Possibly someone may be posing as you in Ireland to get credit. So, identity fraud?

Evilstepmum01 Wed 18-Oct-17 23:22:14

I did suggest to the bank that it may be fraud, but nope. This is about new legislation.
I was worried about fraud too, though. Might be worth checking with Experian.
Just find it very odd.

TisMeTheLadFromTheBar Wed 18-Oct-17 23:25:38

Sounds like a scam. You would need a pps number to be on the revenue system.

WeShouldOpenABar Wed 18-Oct-17 23:26:28

You can't just be randomly registered for tax in Ireland , I'm an Irish accountant, you should ask the bank where they are obtaining that information from they may find when they review it that they've linked it to the incorrect account or a similar error.

On the other hand maybe they are making a broad appeal for proof of tax residency in UK based on trying to comply with some new legislation and have just worded it very badly

Evilstepmum01 Wed 18-Oct-17 23:40:28

Thanks for your thoughts, especially @weshouldopenabar

I did ask the bank where they pulled this information from, she just blustered on about new legislation. I could understand that, but why not DH as well? Its very badly worded!

not sure what to do with it-currently thinking just to ignore it (I MUST reply by Jan 2018). If all they're going to do is report me to HMRC, crack on. Nothing to report there! Or am I being naive? Got enough on my plate without having to jump through hoops!

WeShouldOpenABar Thu 19-Oct-17 13:46:28

I would be more worried about the bank closing your account for non compliance with what I assume is some sort of anti money laundering legislation , they can close it for this. It doesn't sound like a hmrc matter necessarily,id ring the bank and try and find someone who can tell you the actual issue, if they ring back ask to be immediately escalated to their manager and ask them to explain from start to finish what the issue is.

bigbluebus Thu 19-Oct-17 13:52:51

I opened an account with Lloyds Banking group a few months ago and had a similar letter from them recently. They wanted to know which country i reside in for tax purposes and my NI number - all info which was on the Account opening form (i checked my copy). Was easier just to give info again than argue with them tbh.

TisMeTheLadFromTheBar Thu 19-Oct-17 16:03:14

There is a Nigerian scam at the moment where the call centre ring up trying to get Irish tax payers bank details and tax details. They were talking about it a few months ago on the radio.

LivLemler Thu 19-Oct-17 16:37:50

DH and I both have Irish and British accounts - he's had this lately from his banks on both sides of the border, so it is potentially legit. He called into the branches with the info rather than posting it off. I'm guessing they have your NINO wrong or something and they're linking you with someone else's details. Which isn't great.

ancientandmodern Thu 19-Oct-17 16:42:24

My DH had similar experience - was asked by his bank (customer for 40 years) to confirm he was not a US taxpayer.
AFter a lot of questions, turned out that at some point when he'd opened some kind of savings account, the person in the branch doing it had clicked on the wrong box in the drop down menu - should have clicked on UK but did US instead!
So not necessarily sinister - although you would be advised to ask bank to investigate. DH had to go in with paperwork to a branch to get it sorted finally.

Evilstepmum01 Thu 19-Oct-17 17:21:39

Thanks for your thoughts, that's cool. I don't think they'll close my account, if they do I'll just start using my Lloyds account again. I have emailed a complaint today asking them where they got their info from and requesting a call back.
I've had the account 5 years and sent them my marriage certificate last year to name change. So they've seen my docs. I'll be popping into local branch tomorrow too I think.
Think I'd far rather show docs etc in branch.
My work use same bank as me, someone tried to scam us yesterday. Am definitely wary!hmm

AlbusPercival Thu 19-Oct-17 17:24:10

my 3 month old was asked to confirm he is resident in the U.K for tax purposes.

I had to help him fill in the form grin

Rosielily Thu 19-Oct-17 17:27:22

I have had a similar letter recently. I too thought it was a scam so contacted my Financial Advisor (after unsuccessfully Googling the issue!). It transpired that this was a legitimate request - I had researched the law myself - and came about because an investment I had drawn some money from was based in Ireland and in order not to be liable to income tax on it in Ireland I had to establish that I was a resident in England. Hope this helps.

scaryteacher Fri 20-Oct-17 00:11:44

I've had this from my bank as I live in Belgium. Phoned them, gave my NINO, and said I am only liable for UK tax as I have no Belgian income.

They can tell HMRC about me, as HMRC know exactly where I am as I fill out a return every year for letting out my house in UK whilst abroad.

AshleySilver Fri 20-Oct-17 11:15:20

My dd had to fill in a similar form for her student account. She has always lived in the UK and has never paid any tax anywhere.

Evilstepmum01 Fri 20-Oct-17 11:23:31

Albus grin bit young to start an ISA surely?

The irony is I dont have a lot of money, or secret accounts or cash stashed in Swiss bank accounts. I have this account and one with Lloyds and thats it. No 'investments' or a spare thousand to earn me interest. Nothing like that. I have an ISA saving account with the bank who are requesting this info, but it was less than £2000 and is currently empty as it was my Dad's money.
I'm hoping to get a chance to go into my branch today and close said ISA and hopefully sort it. I did raise a complaint with them, I missed the callback though.
What a waste of time though. i do feel like saying right, report me to hmrc, I've literally nothing to hide!

AlbusPercival Fri 20-Oct-17 14:20:52

Not an ISA evil, a child's account, with £20 in it hmm

PovertyPain Fri 20-Oct-17 14:25:14

OP, you didn't ring the number on their letter, did you? If this is a scam, then be very careful and make sure you're phoning the real bank number.

Vickih83 Fri 20-Oct-17 19:53:12

This will be legit. There is new legislation from January. Rightly or wrongly there will be something on their system somewhere that says Ireland so they need to confirm if this is correct or not because if it is they will require additional information to be able to transact for you in the future

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now