Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Flu jab for a single mum of 2 (under 6) with no support

(12 Posts)
user1497643032 Mon 16-Oct-17 20:01:54

Hi, my GP says I need to get flu jab but I am concerned because I am a single mum of 2 (bastard fiance of over 13years just left us for another woman). I am wondering how I will cope should the jab make me ill for a a day or 2. Any single mum out there had flu jab before?

GlitterGlue Mon 16-Oct-17 20:11:30

It's very unlikely to make you ill, although your arm might ache a little.

If you do feel ill you'll just have to manage - couple of paracetamol and an easy dinner. It'll be fine.

Bombardier25966 Mon 16-Oct-17 20:12:30

You might be a bit achey, nothing more.

How do you normally cope when you're ill?

Ollivander84 Mon 16-Oct-17 20:12:52

I had it halfway through a work shift at my desk. Didn't even notice the injection this year, sore arm for a couple of days, nothing else. Main side effects are diarrhoea or/and headache but none of us at work have had any side effects

EdithWeston Mon 16-Oct-17 20:14:59

Well, easier to cope with the side effects of the jab (at a time of your choosing) than a 2-3 week illness.

It might be worth thinking now about options should you be unavailable - would GPs travel? How long before someone can be there?

Hotheadwheresthecoldbath Tue 17-Oct-17 00:20:59

You may have an achey arm but this year's has been remarkably free of side effects.Maybe you should be wondering what would happen to your kids if you get flu.

Cakescakescakes Tue 17-Oct-17 00:55:49

Better a sore arm for a couple of days than a fortnight in bed with flu though.

loveisasecondhandemotion Tue 17-Oct-17 13:13:15

Hi op I'm in the same boat as you, single mum 2 dc and I had it recently with zero side effects.
In previous years I've had an achey arm but nothing this year.

I get is as I'm a carer for my elderly dgm and my dd is 6 and asthmatic and she gets the nasal one in school.
Ds is 14 and is never ever sick, I'm not sure where he stands over getting it as apart from having AS he has no medical issues.

I would definitely get it if I were you smile

CiderwithBuda Tue 17-Oct-17 13:16:15

Not a single mum but had the jab for the first time recently. Arm was a bit painful and itchy for a few days after but no other side effects.

Most people don't have side effects but if they do it is usually mild flu like symptoms. Which will be a lot better than getting the actual flu. Real flu is really horrible.

Callamia Tue 17-Oct-17 13:17:05

I have it every year (for about 15years now) and I've never been ill from it. A mildly achy arm that it's easy to forget about. I don't think it's a live virus, so it shouldn't make you feel unwell.

StrongerThanIThought76 Tue 17-Oct-17 20:00:20

Single parent here too. I had mine after school today. Didn't feel a thing (and as a blood donor I'm not unused to having needles in me). Researched the side effects, and apart from a few loonytunes scaremongerers discovered that it's not a live vaccine so there should be no adverse effects other than perhaps a sore arm for a few hours.

I had actual flu a few years ago and it really made me realise why it can kill elderly people and babies. I literally couldn't raise my body off the bed for 3 days, was hallucinating, lost my memory, couldn't eat or drink. Took me a week to even begin to think I was capable of taking over the responsibility for my kids from my mum and boyfriend at the time who had stepped in to look after all of us.

Get the jab!

yaela123 Mon 23-Oct-17 09:41:36

I am wondering how I will cope should the jab make me ill for a day or 2.

How will you cope if you actually get flu?

I know it can be really tough with 2 LOs by yourself but there are usually barely any side effects and actually getting flu would be much worse. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now