Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Help to understand Income Support/Working Tax credits

(4 Posts)
strongswans Mon 16-Oct-17 12:51:26

Thought I'd try here as the helpline for IS was zero help. I currently claim IS and Carers Allowance as my son is disabled. I have previously been a childminder, and due to the rules I still received IS whilst getting Working TC's. I am hoping to return to work soon and am trying to work out my possible finances first. I will still be self-employed, but not a childminder. I have been told by friends and a few websites (entitled to) say that carers are still entitled to claim IS even when working over the usual 16hrs. As I said I am a carer to my son.

Does anyone have any experience of this? I just need to plan my finances before I take the next move.

Babyroobs Mon 16-Oct-17 13:21:36

You can claim IS as a top up to carers allowance but you can't get IS and WTC together. You can claim CA and work and earn up to £116 a week and get WTC top up.

Babyroobs Mon 16-Oct-17 13:23:36

Be very careful if going self employed though. The rules are getting stricter and tax credits increasingly want you to prove a viable business. When you get switched to Universal credit it is even harder and it just isn't friendly towards the self employed.

strongswans Mon 16-Oct-17 13:25:36

Thank you! Its so hard to understand the rules sometimes! Thanks for the heads up about universal credit

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: