Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Boring bank account question

(15 Posts)
HerdofAntilop Sun 15-Oct-17 11:13:33

I'm looking for a new bank account. I'd really like one that lets me set up side accounts and rename them so I can see at a glance what the savings are for. If it were possible for direct debits to take money straight out of the side accounts without me moving out back to the main account that would be amazing - does such a thing exist?

hejg283 Sun 15-Oct-17 12:02:04

I'm not sure if you can do things like that but I'm with first direct and they're really good and really helpful on the phone, they don't lie about the good customer service! Your not stuck on hold for ages so I would give them a call and ask if they do what you're looking for

somewhereovertherain Sun 15-Oct-17 14:51:09

Look at money saving expert you can make a few quid from new accounts

First direct okay - find the app great
M&S part of HSBC as well awful and the worst app you’d imagine

HSBC somewhere between them both

Shylo Sun 15-Oct-17 14:52:53

I have a NatWest account and have three side accounts attached - I use them for saving so im not sure that you can have dd attached to them - but I really like the phone app and it's really easy to switch money between the accounts

BumWad Sun 15-Oct-17 14:53:35

My Natwest account does this and shows up really well on the app and online banking

everydayanewday Sun 15-Oct-17 14:54:55

Nationwide I do that with.

Can’t do the standing order thing unless you set up multiple current accounts (less interest), can do the renaming thing with both current and savings accounts. I have several of each.

Works well for me.

Ps I’m sure I got a “recommend a friend and get £50 each leaflet a few weeks ago. If you want to try nationwide and want to do the bonus thing, just PM me.

yorkshireyummymummy Sun 15-Oct-17 14:55:20

I am just in the process of switching to first direct.
I had previously applied to M&S but their procedure was so tortuous I gave up.
If you go through money saving expert then first direct give you £125 fir switching to them.
I had the option of opening a side by side savings account.
I'm also going to set up a regular saver (5% fixed fir a year)
They score the best massivly on customer service. I would say to try them and if you don't like them then switch to someone else.

Myneighboursnorlax Sun 15-Oct-17 15:00:48

I have that with Halifax, and they're currently offering £125 to switch to them.

Hunkle Sun 15-Oct-17 15:01:49

Im with First Direct.

£125 for switching to them.

I have 2 Current accounts.

Wages in one. Then all bills come out on the 1st of the month.

I transfer an amount into the other one for food & petrol, by standing order.

3 savings accounts attatched.

I use the 'sweep' facility. Any money left in my current account on the 20th, is 'swept up' and put in a savings account.

Both current accounts have 0% fee, if you use any of the £250 overdraft.

They automatically give you £500 for a current account.

I went about £350 overdrawn one month, & was charged about £1.22.

SandyDenny Sun 15-Oct-17 15:06:25

With TSB you can have side accounts and set up standing orders to meet your savings goals. I don't know about standing orders out, I don't think so, but you can set up save the change so it auto rounds up your debit card payments into the savings account too

HerdofAntilop Mon 16-Oct-17 09:14:09

Oh this is fantastic, I honestly was expecting no replies! They you everyone. I'm already using HSBC and I've deleted the app in frustration!

First direct get a lot of votes but I'll need to look into it, I think you have to deposit a minimum monthly amount (?) And I'll possibly be leaving my job for a bit soon so I don't want to get stuck with having to move again quickly.

It never occurred to me to have two current accounts with the same bank Hunkle, are they looked so that you can see them both at once online?

I'll start researching all of these to see which suits me best. It's a shame they don't put more information about this sorry of stuff online, I'd love to seen some you tube guided tours.

SpinnerDryer Mon 16-Oct-17 13:16:06

All 5 accounts are online, (3 savings, 2 current) when I log in they are all in a row, on the same page.

everydayanewday Mon 16-Oct-17 19:30:55

Nationwide works the same.

My current accounts come at the top of the list.
Then savings accounts.
Then childrens accounts.
Then ISAs.
Then childrens ISAs.

I can pay into and take out of all of them online (except the childrens ISAs - can’t withdraw from those).

My husband thinks it’s horribly complicated, but it makes perfect sense to, and works for, me.

Allthebestnamesareused Wed 18-Oct-17 15:40:21

Yep think all the banks do it. We are with Lloyds and you can give them nicknames eg. I have main, bills, kids, holiday

phoneaddictalso Sat 28-Oct-17 23:22:31

Nationwide. Great in-bank service as well as a good app.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now