Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

If you live on benefits do you save each month? And if so, how much?

(44 Posts)
namechange987 Sat 14-Oct-17 23:51:03

Just that basically.

NoCryLilSoftSoft Sat 14-Oct-17 23:51:48

What paper is it for?

potatoscowls Sat 14-Oct-17 23:56:40

Hahahahahaa

boredofmyoldname Sat 14-Oct-17 23:59:58

Not currently on benefits but was previously in income support with 2 children under 7.

I managed to save £20 a month.

In my case we were actually better off on IS when I became a single parent and had to give up my job due to unsuitable hours as we had previously been a low-income working couple.

namechange987 Sun 15-Oct-17 00:00:27

Obviously I'm missing something, but I have just started claiming WTC and CTC after a separation from my husband and ironically I find myself more able to save now than I did when we were together. I actually called them last week as I thought they were paying me too much. So I'm able to put some money in to savings for the DCs, I just wondered if everyone else on benefits was doing the same and how much "additional" they were receiving.

Greenleaf54321 Sun 15-Oct-17 00:01:35

the breif time we were on benefits for, around £40 a month. 100% ore than when I was working.

iwasagirlinavillage Sun 15-Oct-17 00:02:21

Not an exact figure. I'm not trying to assess the benefit system, I'm just surprised by how much I'm entitled to receive and so I'm putting it in to savings for the DCs.

Babyroobs Sun 15-Oct-17 00:07:17

Perhaps a good idea to save for when you get moved to Universal credit then as most people on that seem to be sinking / being evicted/ visiting food banks.

NoCryLilSoftSoft Sun 15-Oct-17 00:13:39

how much "additional" they were receiving.

Additional to what?

NoCryLilSoftSoft Sun 15-Oct-17 00:14:24

Do you mean like they get their benefits and then an extra tenner on too because the lone parent adviser put a good word in for them? hmm

namechange987 Sun 15-Oct-17 00:33:21

"Additional" to what is required to live, after food, bills, rent/mortgage.

I didn't mean for it to be a contentious subject. I just find that I am left with surplus so I wondered if others are too.

TiesThatBindMe Sun 15-Oct-17 00:36:44

I try to manage £2 a week.

NoCryLilSoftSoft Sun 15-Oct-17 00:43:49

Of course it's contentious. You're asking people to provide daily mail wank fodder.

MyDcAreMarvel Sun 15-Oct-17 00:47:37

Donate your "surplus " to the food bank then.

Oswin Sun 15-Oct-17 00:50:34

Was your ex very financially abusive and you have grown used to living very cheaply.
I was the same. When I left ex I felt like I had loads because I had nothing with him.

anyoldname76 Sun 15-Oct-17 00:54:57

i think its going be different for most people tbh, you might be in a good position to start with ie low mortgage/rent, no debts etc. somebody that for example has to leave an abusive relationship with nothing would probably use pay day loans to buy essentials, might have to pay a large rent deposit, so they are starting in debt which is very hard to get out of.
your post leaves me with a bit of a bad taste in my mouth, because it comes across a bit braggy about the fact you're managing very well, with enough surplus to save. a lot of people now have to use food banks just to be able to feed their children, i would imagine that they would just lìke enough to live on.

Agustarella Sun 15-Oct-17 01:00:24

Financially abusive ex- yes! When he left and I got £90 per week income support, I thought I was rich. He had earned more but drank and generally wasted all of it. I never saw a penny. Had it not been for the little bit of working tax credits and housing benefit, there would have been no money for food or rent. Thankfully utilities were cheaper back then.

namechange987 Sun 15-Oct-17 08:51:56

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like I was bragging at all. I'm just surprised. I am living with my parents following the breakdown of my marriage so, although I'm paying them it is lower than rent or mortgage would be so I think that could be why I have extra left over to save.

My ex wasn't financially abusive as such, but he earned more than me and we were struggling and I was constantly having to use savings to be able to pay for everything. He was also crap with money, so it made it really difficult to manage joint finances because he wouldn't stick to a budget.

dancemom Sun 15-Oct-17 08:56:13

So if you are living with your parents you don’t have to pay full rent, full gas / elec or for tv licence, insurance etc?

anyoldname76 Sun 15-Oct-17 09:01:24

if you're living with your parents i dont really understand why you're surprised youve got money left over, its obvious you wont have the same outlay as someone renting their own home, with all the additional bills that come with that.

wibblywobblyfish Sun 15-Oct-17 09:03:27

About 10 yrs ago when I only had DS1 and I was a lone parent working 16hrs per week I managed to save £350 a month when DS became entitled to DLA. I put the whole DLA award in his savings account and I used to save the extra tax credit element for rainy days.

PersianCatLady Sun 15-Oct-17 09:07:15

See how rich you feel when you have to pay all of your bills and a huge rent top up out of the same money.

WatchingFromTheWings Sun 15-Oct-17 09:13:00

Was your ex very financially abusive and you have grown used to living very cheaply.
I was the same. When I left ex I felt like I had loads because I had nothing with him.

Exactly this! My ExH was financially abusive. No money for kids shoes but plenty for his fags and booze! He was EA too and things were starting to get physical when I left. Myself and the kids were in social housing for a bit, on benefits with me working pt. was so used to having nothing I felt loaded! I’d never been in the position of having money left at the end of the week/month. (Own my own home now, Work more, no benefits).

namechange987 Sun 15-Oct-17 09:15:03

Although I'm living with my parents, the amount I am paying them each month is probably the same amount I'll be paying as a rent top up and for bills. Plus at the moment I'm not receiving any child maintenance so once that's in place that will cover some of those costs as well.

I'm not saying I feel rich. I think perhaps it's because we were "poorer" when we were together but due to his recklessness with money as opposed to the income being lower. Because of that I'm used to living to a tight budget.

namechange987 Sun 15-Oct-17 09:18:20

Yes, WatchingFromTheWings! It's that exactly. I think the fact that I'm now able to financially manage everything it also makes me feel more in control and there are no nasty surprises when I look at the bank statement anymore. It's not necessarily about what actual money is left, it's about being able to predict it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now