We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Tax credits odd situation

(5 Posts)
imnottoofussed Thu 12-Oct-17 23:02:28

So had a slightly strange situation with tax credits. I didn't get paid my tax credits at the end of last month. Realised early this week so logged into my online tax thing and saw that DD was no longer on the claim.

Went on live chat and they said because she was now 16 I should have told them she was staying in higher education. (I sent back the form I received about child benefit so not sure why that wasn't taken in for this) Anyway I added her back on and it said review can take up to 4 weeks.

Two days later I thought I would check progress. It says I'll be getting paid on 13th oct and again on 1st Nov then every 4 weeks. All good. However the amounts are more than I was getting previously confused so by missing two weeks tax credits I'm getting £190 more tomorrow in addition to the normal amount, and my four weekly payments are approx £60 more than normal.

I've no idea how they have worked this out and worried incase they decide they have overpaid me at some point. It's all very strange.

Has anyone else had similar?

gamerchick Thu 12-Oct-17 23:08:22

They’ve maybe calculated it as a fresh claim for where we are in the tax year. So you get an amount awarded and they figure out your weekly payments from that.

If I were you I would save that extra money for when they realise next year and ask for it back.

gamerchick Thu 12-Oct-17 23:11:23

And maybe be prepared for them asking for what you should have had from your original claim from when it stopped to the end of the tax year back also.

Tax credits are complicated but either way I would expect an overpayment demand, in spite of it being their mistake.

imnottoofussed Fri 13-Oct-17 14:29:27

Yes I thought that might be the case, its bloody annoying angry

floatyjosmum Sun 15-Oct-17 19:56:04

I had the same issue with them but all sorted now
just wondering Gamerchick why they might say there's an over payment - I really don't want one but know there isn't any common sense with them

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now