Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Universal Credit

(6 Posts)
tadpole73 Thu 12-Oct-17 21:41:47

When assessing you, do they take into account the maintenance you get from an ex for a child, income received from renting a room out, the 25% Council Tax single adult deduction? I know normal Tax Credits don’t. Is there anything else they consider which CTC doesn’t which I’ve not listed? Thanks

SheRaaarghPrincessOfPower Thu 12-Oct-17 21:42:47

Does UC take maintenance into account? I had no idea.

SheRaaarghPrincessOfPower Thu 12-Oct-17 21:44:23

Sorry, misread in a panic!

tadpole73 Thu 12-Oct-17 21:49:57

SheRaaarrgh my thoughts exactly if they do!

MrsSquiggler Fri 13-Oct-17 14:45:08

No, under UC,

- Child maintenance is still not counted as income and will not affect your award (

- Nor is money received from renting a room counted as income, although you may be still subject to the "bedroom tax" for that room (

- Council tax is separate and the 25% single adult reduction would not affect your UC. You will still need to apply separately for Council Tax Reduction if you are eligible as councils will continue to administer this.

Compared to CTC there will be more conditionality, ie claimants will be expected to prepare for / look for work (depending on children's ages). Like if you were claiming IS / JSA under the old rules.

tadpole73 Fri 13-Oct-17 20:56:40

Thanks MrsSquiggler

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: