Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

divorce...should I sell house cheap to be able to move on

(17 Posts)
lostlilly Thu 12-Oct-17 21:38:26

Long one but please read....I am going through a divorce at the moment.
Due to finances we are having to continue living together until our home is sold.
We sold within days of being on the market and I proceeded to buy a home for me and dd.
A month into the process our buyers have pulled out. I am going to lose the house I am buying if I don't sell within next 2 weeks sad

I am so stressed, its so hard living with my ex, none of us can move on and the atmosphere is awful, I really thought me and dd would be in our new place for xmas
We need to get as much as we can get to clear debt and enable us to both move on but I am so unhappy.
Should I take a low offer to move on ? will I regret it or should I just let the other house go and hold out

lionsleepstonight Thu 12-Oct-17 21:47:35

Even if you had an over tomorrow it's unlikely to complete in two weeks, 8 weeks is considered relatively quickly.

lostlilly Thu 12-Oct-17 22:04:17

oh no they have given me 2 weeks to re sell, not complete

Santawontbelong Thu 12-Oct-17 22:07:56

As someone who's ex lived in the family home for ten years before it was repossessed (last week) I would have gladly lost £££££ to have sold it in the very early days. .
Money has little or no value in comparison to mh. .

lostlilly Thu 12-Oct-17 22:14:32

hmm, this is my thoughts. Its only been a few months but its just so stressful, my dd and I have just started family therapy and even the therapist said its not sustainable living altogether and very confusing for the child.
I need the money, quite depressed at what I can afford on my own as it is and needed the extra cash to make it acceptable but I just hate him and even his noisy breathing is making me angry. I LIVE in my bedroom
Its so frustrating, it sold within days of going on the market, but now its been back on for three weeks and after 7 viewings .....no offers. Its a beautiful home I am gutted

lostlilly Thu 12-Oct-17 22:33:49

how could you live together for ten years???

ASqueakingInTheShrubbery Fri 13-Oct-17 06:35:43

If XH will agree to a sale at a low price, JFDI.

lostlilly Fri 13-Oct-17 09:16:47

what does JFDI mean?

MagicFajita Fri 13-Oct-17 09:18:29

Sell. Your sanity matters more than money.

CatchIt Fri 13-Oct-17 09:19:51

JFDI: just fucking do it 🙂

DaisyRaine90 Fri 13-Oct-17 09:20:02

Your mental health is more important, so if you can afford the financial impact then do it.

Onecall Fri 13-Oct-17 09:20:22

Yes would ex agree?

lostlilly Fri 13-Oct-17 09:37:24

JFDI! I love it lol

I have just reduced property by £20k sad
I woke up this morning and just cried, my dd was stomping round the house demanding this and demanding that, he is there stinking the lounge out sleeping on the sofa, empty wine bottle next to him. the situation is horrendous. I hate him and do not want to be waking up in the same house as him ANYMORE!!!!

How do I get through this

JoJoSM2 Fri 13-Oct-17 12:32:39

Doesn't your ex need to agree to the lower price?

I understand that it's a very difficult time emotionally but would be in favour of keeping a cool business head for money matters. 20k less could mean an extra few years on your next mortgage. I think dropping the price makes sense only if prices have stalled/started going down in the area.

lostlilly Fri 13-Oct-17 14:35:52

ex has agreed to drop price.
We are just having the same feedback from each viewing, that's its beautiful but small for the money. We can't make it any bigger and we need to end this horrible situation for our own mental health AND our dd.
£20k is a lot of money and I am struggling to find something where I need to be as its so close to a major university and prices are ridiculous for the area/quality of housing :-(
but I just don't think we are going to sell without a decent drop, its now 'Offers over' the base line price

lostlilly Fri 13-Oct-17 14:39:01

so....my other thought...I can get a very 'okay' house in a not great but extremely practical area for dd to walk to school and me access motorway to work

OR

A nice flat in a much nicer area, a bus journey for dd school but closer to my work??

JoJoSM2 Fri 13-Oct-17 15:24:00

By the sound of it, the price drop is also a sensible business move. It looks like you just got lucky with the first offer but generally people expect more House for their money.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now