Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Bank Statements etc how long to keep?

(4 Posts)
DaughterDrowningInJunk Tue 10-Oct-17 21:03:36

I know the rule of thumb is 7 years but do I need to keep them that long? I had to do a tax return for 3 years until last year but I don't have to do one now as I don't earn enough to pay any tax. I was planning to keep the previous tax year and get rid of the rest. I have several accounts so the paperwork really stacks up.

I had a lot of investigations into my affairs last year where I had to provide statements but only going back one tax year. No wrongdoing was found so I hope i won't have to go through all that again.

ivykaty44 Tue 10-Oct-17 21:06:00

Always keep them as Tax office etc sometimes make mistakes and having bank statements and wage slips makes life easier

LonginesPrime Tue 10-Oct-17 21:08:05

Can you not just keep pdfs of them on a flash drive?

delilahbucket Tue 10-Oct-17 21:36:21

I don't have paper statements, haven't done for years. I have never had to refer back, but if I ever needed to, the bank is obliged to keep the records for six years (many have them for much longer) if I don't have the statement period I need.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now